Besan wale alu broccoli is a tasty, vegan & gluten-free Indian recipe made by cooking potatoes and broccoli with chickpea flour and some simple spices.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Broccoli – a vegetable which is either loved or hated by people. I never met anyone whose relationship with broccoli falls in between. I come in the first category, I love broccoli and can eat it in any form. Generally, we eat it steamed, grilled, or boiled as a salad or side dish or in soups and pasta but recently started adding it in our Indian dishes too.
Till a few years back, Broccoli was rarely available in the Indian market, so I didn’t grow up eating it. However, since I love cauliflower and broccoli tastes quite similar to it, I love it from the very first time I ate it. The beautiful green color makes it even more appealing than a cauliflower.
I recently came across a very interesting Indian recipe of broccoli on the internet and tried making it at home with some minor changes. It turned out really well and was so easy to make that I have decided to make it more frequently in my kitchen.
The best thing about it is that you don’t need to do much cutting and chopping.
Do try it at home and share your experience with me.
Easy vegan/ vegetarian broccoli recipes
If you also like Broccoli, then don't miss to check the following broccoli recipes on my blog:
If you try any of my recipes then please don’t miss to rate it in the comments section below.
Step by step photo instructions
Vegan Broccoli with potato and chickpea flour
- 3 cups broccoli florets cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 medium-sized potatoes cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3-4 grated garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 3 tbsp chickpea flour
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp mustard oil/ any cooking oil of your choice
- 1/4 cup water
- Salt as per taste
- In a pan, dry roast chickpea flour till it becomes golden brown and fragrant. It will take around 5 minutes.
- Add the coriander powder, cumin powder, red chili powder, and turmeric powder to the roasted chickpea flour. Stir it for about 1-2 minutes or till the spices also become fragrant and switch off the gas. Make sure not to burn the spices or chickpea flour. Take it out in a bowl and keep aside.
- In a pan, heat oil and add grated ginger and garlic. Sauté for 1-2 minutes or till the raw smell of garlic goes away.
- Now add in the potatoes, salt, and water. Mix well, cover and cook the potatoes till they are 90 percent cooked.
- Next add the broccoli, mix, cover and allow to cook for around 7-8 minutes, The broccoli should be crunchy but cooked.
- When the broccoli is done, add the roasted chickpea flour and spices mixture. Mix well, add around 1-2 tablespoon of water if the mixture if the dry mixture is not getting properly coated on the vegetables. Cover and cook for 1-2 minutes and then switch off the gas.
- Finally, add some fresh lime juice, mix and garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves. Serve with roti or any bread of your choice or with some rice & lentil, as a side dish.