Salsa or Pico de gallo is a delicious vegan Mexican dip recipe full of fresh flavors. Enjoy this easy homemade salsa with nachos, tortilla chips, fajitas or any Mexican dish.
In UAE we get long Eid breaks and generally, it gets combined with a weekend so one can expect 7-10 days off during this time.
We have recently come back from a very tiring trip so decided not to travel again and enjoy the much-needed break at home and it was a great decision.
We spent our holiday at home just relaxing, trying different cuisines, reading, watching movies and going for long walks in the evening.
Most of the time when you go on a vacation to another place, you get exhausted by the time it ends and then you need another vacation to rejuvenate:). After years, this was a vacation which gave us the chance to unwind.
I didn’t write much during this time but will share some of the quick recipes which I prepared for our movie nights.
Today, I am sharing a very easy and quick recipe from Mexico – Salsa dip also known as Pico de gallo. This is my mother’s recipe which I love a lot but never before tried making it myself.
Though you also get canned Pico de gallo, the homemade salsa is so easy to make, refreshing, and flavorful that if you start making it once, you will never buy it from the store again.
A night before vacation, Amit and I went shopping for movie time munchies. We came back with two large bags full of snacks including 2 huge packs of his favorite nachos. (I have already hidden one bag so that Amit doesn’t finish them all in a single movie 😉 )
I don’t like eating nachos without any dip and remembered that my mother used to make very yummy and fresh Mexican recipe – salsa with it.
After coming back home, I called her up to take her recipe and was surprised to know that the recipe for this yummy dip is so simple.
You too try this simple, tasty dip full of fresh flavors and enjoy your movie night with tortilla chips and salsa.
How to use homemade salsa/ Pico de gallo?
This homemade salsa can be used in so many Mexican recipes that if you love Mexican food, there will always be a jar of Salsa in your fridge.
I am sharing some of the most common ways you can add it to your Mexican food.
- Use in burrito bowls
- Fill them inside your burritos
- Add it to your Mexican rice
- Mix it with mashed/ chopped avocado and your Guacamole is ready
- Spread on top of nachos
- Serve it as a side dish with any Mexican or non-Mexican dish
- Just enjoy them with crisp tortilla chips
More Easy Mexican recipes:
- Elote- Mexican style street corn
- Mexican Vegetable couscous recipe
- Vegan Burritos with bean rice & mushrooms
- Vegan Chili…an American bowl of comfort
- Kidney Bean Enchilada
- Mexican Rice
If you try any of my recipes then please don’t miss to rate it in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links shared in my blog are affiliate links and I will get benefited if you buy products from them at no extra cost to you. However, I have personally used most of these products hence recommending them to you. You are free to buy them from anywhere also.
How to make Salsa/ Pico de Gallo?
Salsa/ Pico de gallo
- 2 large ripe tomatoes very finely chopped
- 1 capsicum very finely chopped
- 1 red onion very finely chopped
- 1-2 garlic cloves grated
- 2 green chilies finely chopped/ you can also use jalapeno for a classic recipe.
- 2-3 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1.5 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup optional, but it tastes really great with ketchup and it also helps in keeping all the ingredients together)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt as per taste
- Put all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Serve with tortilla chips, burritos, quesadilla or any dish of your choice.