This delicious vegan carrot cake is moist, light and very easy to make. Its perfect to be enjoyed on warm evenings with a cup of tea.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I had a very sweet Chinese colleague who is a dear friend too. During our office lunch break, we often used to go out together to have tea. What else can you expect when people from two tea-loving countries become friends?
We used to order a pot of tea, a dessert, and share it over our long chats mostly grumbling about our boss who was a jerk and hated by everyone in the team or discussing our common interests – watching horror/ thriller movies, traveling, eating.
Requesting the restaurant to re-fill the teapot with hot water was something which I learned from that friend of mine.
Though we no longer work together, we still keep on recommending good horror/ thriller movies to each other.
I really miss those tea breaks.
We had two favorite desserts to order with those teapots – Custard pie and Carrot cake.
Today, I will share the vegan version of one of those treats – Carrot cake which I loved sharing with my Chinese friend.
This eggless and dairy-free carrot cake recipe is so simple that even beginners can make it without struggling.
Many food historians believe that Carrot cake originated from a similar carrot pudding eaten in Europe during Medieval time when buying any type of sugar was an expensive deal. So the carrots were used to sweeten those puddings.
During World War II the carrot cakes once again gain popularity in the UK due to the scarcity of sugar.
Of course, there are a few extra ingredients that are added to a carrot cake now but it must be a luxury to buy them during that time when even buying the most basic ingredient like sugar was not easy.
I have tried to make my recipe a bit healthier by using a 50:50 ratio of all-purpose flour(maida) and whole wheat flour(aata). If you want you can use just all-purpose flour or just whole wheat flour. If you use only whole wheat flour the cake will be denser.
So, if you are also missing a friend, just bake this delicious vegan carrot cake, invite your friend for tea and enjoy your long precious chats with this treat!
Step by step photo instructions
Vegan carrot cake
Ingredients for vegan carrot cake
- 1 cup all purpose flour maida
- 1 cup whole wheat flour aata
- 1.5 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup soy milk If you are not a vegan, use normal dairy milk
- 2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup any neutral oil I used cannola oil
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Ingredients for cream cheese frosting
- 3/4 cup vegan cream cheese if you are not a vegan, use normal dairy cream cheese
- 4 tbsp icing sugar
Ingredients for garnishing (optional)
- 1.5 tbsp chopped walnuts
- 1 tbsp grated carrot
- In a bowl mix milk and apple cider vinegar, keep aside and allow the milk to curdle. Once the milk gets curdled add in the oil.
- Take another bowl, sieve all the dry ingredients in it and mix them.
- Now add the dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix till they get combined. Do it manually, don't use electric beater as we want to do it gently.
- Finally, add the chopped walnuts and grated carrot to the batter and gently fold them in the batter with the help of a spatula.
- Grease a cake pan and pour the batter into it. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 40-45 minutes or until the inserted toothpick comes out clear.
- Take out the cake on a cooling rack and let it reach room temperature.
- In the meanwhile for preparing cream cheese frosting, take vegan cream cheese in a bowl and add icing sugar to it. Beat it with an electric beater for a few seconds. Don’t overbeat otherwise the frosting will become very thin and runny.
- Nicely spread the cream cheese frosting on the cake and garnish with chopped walnuts and grated carrots. Let the frosting set on the cake and then cut the slices of your tasty vegan carrot cake.