Vegan pasta bolognese is a delightful pasta recipe with a thick tomato and mushroom based sauce. A satisfying recipe for all pasta lovers, whether vegan or not.
Though now you can find the vegan or vegetarian version of every dish, there are a few dishes which cannot be imagined without meat. Today I am sharing the vegan version of one such Italian dish- Pasta Bolognese. It’s a very popular Pasta dish serve with Bolognese sauce.
What is Bolognese sauce?
Bolognese is a meat based Italian sauce made with key ingredients like minced or finely chopped meat, carrot, celery, and tomatoes.
Though a lot of people associate it with the Bologona city of Italy, many say it’s just a myth. I also read somewhere that the dish did not even originate in Italy.
Vegan options for the sauce
Though one of the main ingredients of Bologense sauce is meat, you can make it vegan/ vegetarian by replacing minced meat with any of the following ingredients or a combination of them:
- Finely chopped mushrooms. You can use a single type of mushroom or mix different varieties
- Finely chopped eggplants
- Scrambled tofu
- Soya granules
In this recipe, I have used only mushrooms but you can follow the same recipe with any of the above ingredients.
Ways to use leftover sauce
In case you have made more than enough sauce and don’t know how to use it, the following ideas may help you:
- Use the sauce in lasagna
- Spread it on your toast
- Serve with baked potatoes
- Use in pies
- Use in vegan chili
- Fill it in the pepper with some cooked rice/ quinoa and bake
More easy recipes for meatless Monday
If you also want to start a plant-based lifestyle or want to start less meat then you must check the following easy vegan recipes on my site:
If you try any of my recipes then please don’t miss to rate it in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links shared in my blog are affiliate links and I will get benefited if you buy products from them at no extra cost to you. However, I have personally used most of these products hence recommending them to you. You are free to buy them from anywhere also.
How to make Pasta Bolognese?
Vegan Pasta Bolognese
- 350 grams spaghetti
- 2.5 cups finely chopped mushrooms use any variety of your choice
- 1 medium sized onion finely chopped
- 1 medium-sized tomato finely chopped
- 1 small carrot finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 1.5 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8-10 fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley for garnishing optional
- Cook the spaghetti as per instructions given on the packet.
- Heat oil in a pan, add chopped onion and sauté till it becomes translucent.
- Next, add the chopped garlic and saute for a few seconds before adding the chopped carrots and celery. Saute for around 2-3 minutes or until the carrots and celery get cooked
- Add mushrooms, cook till the water gets evaporated.
- Add chopped tomatoes and salt. Cover the pan. Once the tomatoes turn mushy, add the tomato paste and all the herbs. Saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Take around 1 cup of water in which the pasta was boiled and add to the sauce. Let the sauce simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Finally, add the cooked pasta. Mix everything nicely. Garnish with basil, parsley. You can also add vegan cheese of you want.