Pahadi cucumber raita
Pahadi raita is a specialty of Uttrakhand. A Himalayan side dish with a punch of mustard is perfect for summers and is a must-try recipe.
Servings 5 people
- 1 cup peeled and grated cucumber grate from the thick side of the grater
- 1 finely chopped green chili adjust as per taste
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander/ mint leaves
- 2 cups thick yogurt
- 1 cup water
- 2.5 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds powder
- 1/4 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder adjust as per taste
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
Beat 2 cups of yogurt. Add water and beat again to get a smooth consistency.
Add all the other ingredients and mix well. Garnish with coriander or mint leaves.
Serve chilled, preferably after a day as the mustard flavor will get stronger the next day.
- 2.5 teaspoons of mustard will give a strong punch of mustard which is preferred in this dish. However, if you want a milder flavor of mustard, reduce the amount.
- Make this raita at least a day in advance. The mustard flavor becomes stronger the next day.
Calories: 63kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 4mg | Sodium: 66mg | Potassium: 171mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 163IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 101mg | Iron: 1mg