Chickpea spinach curry
This delicious Chickpea spinach curry is vegan and gluten-free. It's a one-pot curry recipe from India which is very easy to make and a real comfort food.
Servings 5 people
- 5 cups boiled/ canned chickpea
- 3 cups chopped spinach
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 large tomato finely chopped/ pureed
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1/2 tbsp garlic paste
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- Chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder adjust as per taste
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tbsp cooking oil use any oil of your choice
- 2 cups water adjust to get the desired consistency
Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds. Once they become fragrant add chopped onions and salt. Cook till onions turn golden brown.
Add all the dry spice powder except garam masala. Saute for around 30 seconds.
Add chopped tomatoes mix and cover the pan.
Once the tomatoes get nicely cooked, add the chickpeas and spinach. Mix, and cook uncovered for around 2-3 minutes.
Add water, cover the pan, and simmer till spinach gets cooked.
Finally, add garam masala, cook for about a minute and then switch off the gas.
Add lime juice and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Serve hot with rice, roti or naan.
- Spinach will also release some water so don't add a lot of water to cook this curry.
- Home-cooked beans are the best for Indian recipes. However, if that's not an option for you, use canned chickpeas.
Calories: 320kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 37mg | Potassium: 668mg | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 1996IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 115mg | Iron: 6mg