Aloo beans, also known as beans ki sabzi is an Indian stir fry recipe made with French beans and potatoes. This easy Indian-style green beans recipe is vegan and gluten-free.
- 350 grams French beans chopped into around 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium-sized potato chopped into 1-inch long pieces
- 1-2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1-2 hot green chili peppers finely chopped, adjust to taste
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon black mustard seeds
- ½ tablespoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder adjust to taste
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon dried mango powder (amchoor powder) optional, you can also replace it with around 1.5 tablespoons of lime juice
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon mustard oil or any other cooking oil of choice
Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pot. Add cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Let the seeds splutter in hot oil.
Add finely chopped garlic and saute until its raw smell goes away and it starts turning brown.
Add potato and saute for about 1-2 minutes.
Next, add French beans, green chilies, and salt. Mix everything.
Cover the pot. Cook for around 12-15 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked. Keep checking and stirring after every 5-7 minutes to make sure it's not sticking to the pot.
Add red chili powder, turmeric powder, and coriander powder. Mix and cook uncovered for another 1-2 minutes.
Finally, add dried mango powder and mix.
- Use a heavy-bottomed or non-stick pan to make this dish.
- Don't make very thick and large pieces of potato otherwise they will take more time to get cooked.
- Don't add water to cook this dish otherwise, it will turn mushy. The beans should remain slightly crunchy.
- You can also add sliced onion to aloo beans. Just cook it for a few minutes until it turns translucent before adding potatoes.
- Don't add powdered spices until the dish is cooked otherwise they will start sticking to the pot, making it very difficult to cook the dish without water.
- Add dried mango powder or lime juice only once the dish is cooked.
- You can use any type of beans like cluster beans, string beans, flat beans, etc.
- More recipe tips and tricks are given within the post above, please follow them to make this recipe.
Calories: 113kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 51mg | Potassium: 435mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 682IU | Vitamin C: 23mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 2mg