Easy Falafel Recipe
This easy Falafel recipe is of a tasty vegan snack from the Middle East. Enjoy them as a snack or stuff inside pita bread to have a Middle Eastern sandwich.
Servings 30 falafels
- 1.5 cups dried chickpeas you can also use canned
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 cup roughly chopped parsley
- 1 cup roughly chopped coriander leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped spring onion green part only
- 7-8 fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 tbsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Salt as per taste
- Oil for deep frying
Soak chickpeas in water for at least 7-8 hours or overnight. In the morning strain the chickpeas and discard all the extra water.
Put all the ingredients except oil in a grinder and make a coarse paste. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
Heat oil in a wok. Take a little portion of the paste in your hands and make small lime size balls by rolling between your palms. Deep fry the balls until they turn golden brown from all the sides. Take out on a kitchen paper towel. Keep aside
Serve hot with your favorite dip like hummus or Muhammara. Or, fill them inside your sandwiches with some crunchy salad to enjoy a falafel wrap.
- Using dried chickpeas is recommended for this recipe.
- Make small balls of the falafel paste as they will increase in size after frying.
- For a healthier version, you can also bake or air-fry them.
Calories: 89kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 19mg | Potassium: 111mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 248IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 25mg | Iron: 1mg