Middle Eastern Bean Salad - Balela
This refreshing and healthy, vegan bean salad - Balela, inspired by Middle East is made with different beans, greens, fresh veggies, olive oil and Arabic spices.
- 1 can chickpeas around 1.5 cups
- 1 can red kidney beans around 1.5 cups
- 1 cucumber preferably Persian cucumber
- 1 medium sized tomato
- 1 medium sized red onion
- 1 bell pepper any color is fine
- ½ cup fresh parsley roughly chopped
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves roughly chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced
- Juice of half a lemon adjust to taste
- 1 tablespoon sumac
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder adjust to taste
- Salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Finely chop all the vegetables.
Put the beans, chopped vegetables, herbs, garlic, sumac, red chili powder, salt, and pepper.
Drizzle some olive oil and lemon juice. Toss and enjoy!
- Each can of beans that I have used here had a net weight of 400 grams and a drained weight of 240 grams.
- Other beans like black beans, black-eyed beans, white beans can also be used in this recipe.
- You may also add pitted olives to this salad.
- Instead of regular tomatoes, cherry tomatoes can be used too.
- To add some heat, use chili flakes too.
Calories: 84kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 12mg | Potassium: 278mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1654IU | Vitamin C: 46mg | Calcium: 34mg | Iron: 1mg