Aloo bhindi is a simple vegan and gluten-free Indian recipe. Made with potatoes and okra, this dish is one of the simplest yet yummiest recipes.
Servings 2 people
- 2.5 cups chopped okra remove the head and tail and make medium-sized pieces.
- 1 medium-sized potato chopped into small cubes
- 1-2 finely chopped green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 tbsp dried mango powder
- 1/2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder optional
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1.5 tbsp mustard oil/ any cooking oil of your choice
- Salt as per taste
Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pan and add cumin seeds to it. When the seeds start spluttering add potato cubes and stir fry until they start turning brown and are around 90% cooked.
Add chopped okra and green chilies. Stir fry for around 10-12 minutes.
Add all the spices, mix well, and cook for another 4-5 minutes. Keep stirring in between. Once the okra is cooked and becomes slime free switch off the gas.
Serve with roti/ paratha or rice and dal.
- Always cook okra in a heavy-bottomed pan.
- Wash okra in advance to ensure they are completely dry when you cook them otherwise they will turn slimy.
- Add salt only when okra is almost cooked.
Calories: 231kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 100mg | Potassium: 822mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1043IU | Vitamin C: 54mg | Calcium: 124mg | Iron: 2mg