Tomato chutney in Bengali style
Tomato chutney in Bengali style is a very flavourful, delicious vegan and gluten-free side dish from West Bengal, India.
Servings 5 people
- 1 teaspoon panch phoran - Indian five spice blend Mix fenugreek seed, nigella seed, cumin seed, black mustard seeds and fennel seeds in equal amount
- 4 medium sized tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1-2 whole dry red chilies
- 2 dates pitted and chopped
- 3/4 tbsp sugar adjust the quantity as per your taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt adjust the quantity as per your taste
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder broken into 2-3 pieces each
- 1 tbsp mustard oil
Heat mustard oil in a pan and add the five spice blend and red chili pieces to the oil. Saute for a few seconds till they become fragrant.
Add chopped tomatoes, salt, turmeric powder, and red chili powder to the pan. Mix well and cover the pan. Let it cook for 3-4 minutes till tomatoes become soft.
Next, add in the chopped dates and sugar, mix and allow it to cook for another 4-5 minutes.
Your Bengali style sweet tomato chutney is ready. Traditionally it's served with khichdi, you can also serve it with paratha/ roti or even use as a spread or dip.
Calories: 63kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 126mg | Potassium: 288mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 965IU | Vitamin C: 26mg | Calcium: 14mg | Iron: 1mg