Rava Uttapam is a delicious, easy to make, vegan, savory breakfast from India. They are topped with different ingredients like vegetables, herbs, & coconut
Servings 5 uttapam
- 1 cup semolina
- 1/2 cup yogurt plant-based/ dairy
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped tomato
- 1/2 cup finely chopped bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1-2 finely chopped green chilies
- 7-8 curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tbsp + 1 tbsp cooking oil
In a large bowl mix semolina, yogurt, salt, and water. Mix well and keep aside for around 10-15 minutes.
After 15 minutes, semolina will absorb water so the batter will become thick. If required, add more water to get a pancake batter like consistency.
Add baking soda to the batter and mix.
Heat 1tbsp oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, when they start spluttering add curry leaves and asafoetida. Saute for a few seconds and then pour this oil mixture over the batter. Mix well.
Mix the chopped onions, tomatoes, bell peppers, green chilies, and coriander leaves in a bowl and keep aside.
Heat a flat pan and grease with some oil. Pour around a ladle of batter on it and spread to make a pancake. Don't make it very thin.
When the top surface of Uttapam is still wet, spread some chopped vegetables on it. Gently press with the backside of spatula so that the vegetables stick to the surface.
When the top side gets dry, flip it over and cook the other side too for around 2 minutes or until it's nicely cooked.
Take out on a plate with the vegetable side up and serve hot with sambhar or chutney.
- For even and faster cooking, cover the pan with a lid while cooking the Uttapam.
- You can add more vegetables like grated carrots, cabbage, mushrooms, corn, etc to make different types of Uttapam.
Calories: 228kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 3mg | Sodium: 101mg | Potassium: 190mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 722IU | Vitamin C: 52mg | Calcium: 45mg | Iron: 2mg