Armenian Vegan Lentil Salad-Mshosh
Mshosh is a very simple and filling vegan lentil salad from Armenia. Made with a few easily available ingredients like brown lentil, dried apricot, plums, and walnuts, it’s very easy to make and tastes delicious.
Servings 5 people
- 1 cup dried brown lentil
- 1 medium-sized onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup walnuts roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup dried plums roughly chopped to big chunks
- 1/2 cup dried apricots roughly chopped to big chunks
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Ground black pepper as per taste
- Salt as per taste
Wash and soak the lentil in hot water for around 2 hours.
Put the lentil in a pot with around 2 cups of water, salt and allow to cook for around 10-15 minutes or till the lentil is nicely cooked. Don't over-cook otherwise it will turn mushy and spoil the salad. If some water is left in the lentil, strain it. Keep the cooked lentil aside.
Heat oil in a pan and add chopped onions. Cook till onions start turning brown.
Next add the chopped walnuts, apricots and plums. Mix well and cook for 4-5 minutes or till the apricots start caramelizing.
Add the cooked lentil and mix well. Cover the pan and let the lentils cook for around 2 minutes with the plums and apricots. Switch off the gas. Don't remove the lid for next 5 minutes.
Finally, garnish with chopped parsley and serve. It can be enjoyed hot, warm or cold.
- Try using home-cooked dried lentil in the salad to maintain its freshness.
- You will get brown lentil in different sizes, use the largest one you can find.
- Don't overcook the lentil otherwise, it will make the salad mushy.
- If you have apricot juice add some while cooking the lentil.
- Fill the leftover salad in your pita bread sandwiches or any other sandwich to make it more flavorful and nutritious.
Calories: 320kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 7mg | Potassium: 745mg | Fiber: 15g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 872IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 57mg | Iron: 4mg