Mshosh is a very simple and filling vegan lentil salad from Armenia. Made with a few easily available ingredients like brown lentil, dried apricot, plums, and walnuts, it’s very easy to make and tastes delicious.
My interest in Armenian food developed after reading a book-The bastard of Istanbul, a few years ago. The book is not a cookery book but touches Armenian cuisine in a very interesting way. If you also love reading then don’t miss checking my review on this book here.
The first Armenian dish which I tried after finishing the book was Vegetarian Armenian Eggplant salad. The salad was so delicious that I wanted to try more Armenian recipes. Though the eggplant salad tastes amazing I prefer having it as an appetizer instead of salad because of fried eggplants used in the recipe. So, this time I wanted to try something lighter and healthier and made a vegan lentil salad called Mshosh.
What type of lentil is used in this salad?
Use brown lentil (sabut masoor ki dal) to make Mshosh. I would recommend using dried brown lentil and cooking it at home. It doesn’t even need long hours of soaking. However, if you don’t want to cook the lentil at home at all or couldn’t find the dried lentil in your area, use the canned one. Just make sure to rinse the canned lentil nicely to get rid of the peculiar smell which most canned food items have. Salads taste best with fresh ingredients.
Brown lentil is one of my favorite lentils and if you have not checked my sabut masoor ki dal recipe (brown lentil made in Indian style) then don’t miss to check it here.
Tips and Tricks
- Try using home-cooked dried lentil in the salad to maintain its freshness.
- You will get brown lentil in different sizes, use the largest one you can find.
- Don’t overcook the lentil otherwise, it will make the salad mushy.
- If you have apricot juice add some while cooking the lentil.
- Fill the leftover salad in your pita bread sandwiches or any other sandwich to make it more flavorful and nutritious.
More lentil recipes
I love lentils and eat them at least once every day. If you also like lentils and looking for ideas to include them in your meals then you may want to check the following recipes:
More Easy salad ideas
And, if you like eating healthy and looking for easy salad recipes then don’t miss to check the following links:
- French carrot salad
- Mediterranean white bean salad
- Beet salad with Feta
- Egyptian farro salad
- Greek Watermelon Salad
If you try any of my recipes then please don’t miss to rate it in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links shared in my blog are affiliate links and I will get benefited if you buy products from them at no extra cost to you. However, I have personally used most of these products hence recommending them to you. You are free to buy them from anywhere also.
How to make Armenian Lentil Salad- Mshosh?
Armenian Vegan Lentil Salad-Mshosh
- 1 cup dried brown lentil
- 1 medium-sized onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup walnuts roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup dried plums roughly chopped to big chunks
- 1/2 cup dried apricots roughly chopped to big chunks
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Ground black pepper as per taste
- Salt as per taste
- Wash and soak the lentil in hot water for around 2 hours.
- Put the lentil in a pot with around 2 cups of water, salt and allow to cook for around 10-15 minutes or till the lentil is nicely cooked. Don't over-cook otherwise it will turn mushy and spoil the salad. If some water is left in the lentil, strain it. Keep the cooked lentil aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add chopped onions. Cook till onions start turning brown.
- Next add the chopped walnuts, apricots and plums. Mix well and cook for 4-5 minutes or till the apricots start caramelizing.
- Add the cooked lentil and mix well. Cover the pan and let the lentils cook for around 2 minutes with the plums and apricots. Switch off the gas. Don't remove the lid for next 5 minutes.
- Finally, garnish with chopped parsley and serve. It can be enjoyed hot, warm or cold.