Beetroot raita is a simple and refreshing side dish recipe from India. Made with blanched beetroot, yogurt, and a few basic Indian spices this raita can be served with almost every Indian meal.
Servings 3 people
- 1 cup grated/ finely chopped beetroot
- 1 cup thick yogurt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 green chili pepper finely chopped
- 6-7 curry leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon urad dal split and skinned black lentil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- 1/8 teaspoon asafoetida
- Salt as per taste
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
Put the grated beetroot in a pan, add salt, cover with a lid. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until it becomes soft and the raw taste of beets goes away.
In a large bowl add yogurt and water. Whisk till it becomes smooth.
Add cooked beetroot, green chilies, cumin powder, and pepper. Mix well.
Heat oil in a pan add mustard seeds and urad dal. Saute for a few seconds. Add curry leaves and asafoetida, saute for another 15-20 seconds. Pour this mixture over yogurt, mix and serve.
- Instead of grated beets, you can also use finely chopped beets.
- Blanching is optional if you like the taste of raw beets.
Calories: 80kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 3mg | Sodium: 112mg | Potassium: 241mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 76IU | Vitamin C: 44mg | Calcium: 89mg | Iron: 1mg