Beetroot raita is a simple and refreshing side dish recipe from India. Made with blanched beetroot, yogurt, and a few basic Indian spices this raita can be served with almost every Indian meal.
My lunch, especially during summers, is incomplete without a raita or lassi. The best thing is that there are so many different ways of making them that you don’t really get bored of these dishes even after eating them every single day.
Today I am sharing a very tasty and easy South Indian style Raita- Beetroot Raita.
The way raita is made in North India is slightly different than the way it’s made in South India. The main difference is that in South India raita is tempered with ingredients like mustard seeds and curry leaves. This is generally not done in North Indian raita recipes.
In South India, raita is called Pachadi.
How to serve?
- Raita can be eaten with almost every Indian dish. You can enjoy it as a side dish with rice and dal or even roti.
- It can also be served with any Paratha (Pan-fried Indian flatbread) like Aloo paratha or Bikaneri Bhujia paratha in the breakfast.
- A bowl of raita can also be enjoyed as a light and nutritious snack at any time of the day.
- Another way of enjoying raita is as a dip with vegetable sticks or any other snack.
Raita tastes best when served chilled.
Instead of grating, you can also use finely chopped beetroot in raita.
If you like the taste of raw beets, blanching them is not mandatory.
You can add more vegetables like grated carrot, shredded cabbage, finely chopped onion, etc to make it healthier.
Tempering the beets raita is recommended but not mandatory.
More Raita Recipes
One of my favorite things to eat during the summer is Raita. You can check some of the raita recipes below:
Easy Beet Recipes
I have seen people either love beetroots or hate it. I hated it as a kid but now love eating beetroot. If you are also looking for ways to add it to your diet then don’t miss to check the following easy beet recipes:
If you try any of my recipes then please don’t miss to rate it in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links shared in my blog are affiliate links and I will get benefited if you buy products from them at no extra cost to you. However, I have personally used most of these products hence recommending them to you. You are free to buy them from anywhere also.
How to make Beetroot Raita?
- 1 cup grated/ finely chopped beetroot
- 1 cup thick yogurt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 green chili pepper finely chopped
- 6-7 curry leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon urad dal split and skinned black lentil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- 1/8 teaspoon asafoetida
- Salt as per taste
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- Put the grated beetroot in a pan, add salt, cover with a lid. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until it becomes soft and the raw taste of beets goes away.
- In a large bowl add yogurt and water. Whisk till it becomes smooth.
- Add cooked beetroot, green chilies, cumin powder, and pepper. Mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan add mustard seeds and urad dal. Saute for a few seconds. Add curry leaves and asafoetida, saute for another 15-20 seconds. Pour this mixture over yogurt, mix and serve.
- Instead of grated beets, you can also use finely chopped beets.
- Blanching is optional if you like the taste of raw beets.