This easy Egyptian Farro salad is a tasty and healthy vegetarian salad made by mixing cooked ancient grain-Farro with Egyptian/ Middle Eastern flavors.
One of my most loved recipes on this blog is of the National dish of Egypt- Koshari. A lot of people were surprised to know that the National dish of a country which is known for the huge variety of its non-vegetarian dishes is vegan.
Today, I am back with a healthy Egyptian side dish recipe made with ancient Middle Eastern grain-Farro.
What is Farro?
Farro is an ancient grain full of fibers and a lot of health benefits. It is also known as Emmer wheat in many parts of the world and as Khapli gehun in India.
Even in the ancient world, Farro was eaten in a lot of different countries. I read somewhere that it was an important part of the meals of the labors who built pyramids.
I really like the nutty flavor and chewy texture of Farro and love adding it to my salads and soups.
Unfortunately, a lot of people are not aware of the existence and benefits of this ancient grain.
Farro health benefits:
- Farro is considered as the most fibrous grain. The high fiber contents make it good for the digestive system, heart, and maintaining the right cholesterol level in the body.
- It’s a very rich source of protein and magnesium so if you want to add these components to your diet, this ancient grain must find a place in your modern kitchen.
- This grain is also a rich source of antioxidants.
This vegetarian salad is very easy to make, gets ready within minutes and is a perfect potluck recipe.
Since farro is a part of many cuisines, you can easily find it in almost every grocery store. You can also buy it online here.
Can you freeze this salad?
No, you cannot freeze this salad after it’s ready however, you can cook the Farro in advance. It will fine for 5-6 months in the freezer and 3-4 days in the fridge.
When you want to make farro salad just thaw it and mix all the remaining ingredients.
What to serve with farro salad?
It’s so filling that you don’t need anything else to eat along with it.
However, if you want you can serve it with grilled vegetables, some toasted bread, or a bowl of any cold soup.
More easy Middle Eastern Salad recipes:
In case you also love the freshness of the Middle Eastern salads, then don’t miss to check out the following recipes on this blog:
If you try any of my recipes and like it then please don’t miss to rate it in the comments section.
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links shared in my blog are affiliate links and I will get benefited if you buy products from them at no extra cost to you. However, I have personally used most of these products hence recommending them to you. You are free to buy them from anywhere also.
How to make easy Egyptian farro salad?
Egyptian farro salad
with a lot of Egyptian/ Middle Eastern flavors.
- 1 cup farro
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup feta cheese cubes
- 1 medium sized cucumber
- 1 medium sized red onion
- 1 medium sized tomato
- 3-4 grated garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3-4 tbsp chopped mint leaves
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- Salt as per taste
- Put farro with 2 cups of water and some salt in a pot and cook for around 15-20 minute or, till the grains are cooked firm to the bite. Keep aside. If there is some extra water, strain the grains and discard excess water.
- Make equal bite-size pieces of the vegetables. Put warm farro, vegetables, feta cheese cubes, and pomegranate seeds in a large bowl.
- In another bowl mix olive oil with lemon juice, cumin powder, salt and paprika.
- Pour the dressing over the salad, add chopped mint leaves and mix well. Serve warm.