Gobhi matar methi ki sabzi is a very tasty Indian style cauliflower recipe. This vegan and gluten-free dish is made with cauliflower, green peas, and fresh fenugreek leaves.
Today’s recipe –Gobhi matar methi has all my favorite vegetables in it, so obviously it becomes one of my favorite Indian veg recipes.
This easy cauliflower dish is cooked quite often in almost every Indian kitchen during winters. For me, the aroma of cauliflower getting cooked with Indian spices in a rich onion tomato gravy is associated with Indian winters-my favorite season.
Cauliflower is so popular in India and there are so many Indian cauliflower recipes that it’s hard to imagine that it came to India only around 150 years back.
It’s believed that cauliflower originated in Cyprus from where it traveled to the Middle East and Europe. It was then brought to India by the British. Now, India has become one of the major producers of Cauliflower in the world.
What is Gobhi matar methi ki sabzi?
It’s a vegan Indian recipe, made by cooking Gobhi (Cauliflower), Matar (green peas), and methi (Fenugreek leaves) with onion, tomatoes, and a few other ingredients.
Ingredients substitutes and alternatives suggestions:
- Though fresh fenugreek leaves taste the best in this recipe if you could not find fresh leaves, use half a tablespoon of dry fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi). You can also use spinach or any other greens of your choice.
- It can be made with broccoli also instead of cauliflower.
How to serve this easy Gobhi recipe?
It tastes best with crisp parathas (Pan-fried Indian bread) or roti. You can also serve it as a side dish with rice and dal.
If you like cauliflower, don’t miss to check my Aloo Gobhi ki sabzi recipe.
More easy Indian vegetable recipes:
Looking for more ideas to use Fenugreek leaves in your food? Don’t miss to check out my Aloo Methi recipe.
If you try any of my recipes then please don’t miss to share your feedback and rate the recipe in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links shared in my blog are affiliate links and I will get benefited if you buy products from them at no extra cost to you. However, I have personally used most of these products hence recommending them to you. You are free to buy them from anywhere also.
How to make Indian style cauliflower?
Gobhi matar methi-Indian cauliflower recipe
- 4.5 cups cauliflower florets 1 medium-sized cauliflower
- 2 cups fresh fenugreek leaves roughly chopped
- 1 cup green peas fresh/ frozen
- 1 large onion finely hopped
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala optional
- 1 tbsp mustard oil/ any other cooking oil of your choice
- Salt as per taste
- Chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds to it. Saute for a few seconds till they become fragrant and then add the garlic paste. Saute the garlic for a few seconds before adding the onion. When the onion starts turning brown, add all the dry spices (except garam masala), salt, and stir for a few seconds.
- Next add the tomatoes. Cook for a few minutes, till tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add cauliflower and peas to the pot, mix and cover the pan. Cook for around 12-15 minutes till cauliflower is almost cooked. Don't overcook otherwise it will turn mushy. Keep on checking and stirring occasionally to make sure it's not sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Now, add the fresh fenugreek leaves, grated ginger, and garam masala. Mix everything and allow to cook for another 5-7 minutes without covering the pan.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with any Indian bread or rice.
- You can use use spinach instead of fenugreek leaves in the recipe.
- Another substitute option is dry frenugreek leaves. You can easily find it in the spice section of any Indian/ Asian grocery store by the name Kasuri methi. If using dry leaves, add only 1/2 a tablespoon.