Aloo Gobhi or Aloo Gobi is one of the most popular and delicious vegan dishes from India. Made with cauliflower, potatoes, and Indian spices, this gluten-free recipe is a must-try for every food lover whether vegan or not.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Indian cuisine is a treasure of vegetarian and vegan dishes and every state of India has it's own way of making these dishes.
One of the most popular vegetable dishes which is eaten throughout the country is – Aloo gobhi (Potatoes with cauliflower). There may be a few variations in the cooking method but the basic recipe remains the same.
I love Aloo Gobhi and it's one of the infinite reasons for loving Indian winters. This dish is mainly eaten during winters as you get fresh cauliflowers during that time.
Aloo Gobhi along with Khatta meetha kaddu, Matar Paneer, Kachori, and Gulab Jamun, is my mother’s almost fixed menu for every Diwali dinner. Like most of the other Hindu festivals, during Diwali, only vegetarian food is cooked in almost every home.
We can never get bored of that menu and I really miss that time when we used to celebrate Diwali with our parents.
Recipe tips & tricks
- Cut medium-sized cauliflower florets, if you make them too small they will turn mushy.
- Add cauliflower only once potatoes are half cooked as cauliflower will take lesser time to get cooked.
- You can make this dish in dry, semi-dry, or with gravy form. If you want it dry, tomatoes can be skipped. For semi-dry or gravy form add tomatoes and adjust the amount of water depending upon how much gravy you want in the dish.
- For special events, you can also fry or bake potatoes before adding to the dish. It tastes amazing.
How to serve?
Aloo Gobi is generally served with Indian flatbread like paratha, roti, or naan. It can also be served with rice and dal as a side dish.
You can also stuff the leftover Aloo Gobi in your wraps or grilled sandwiches.
More easy Indian vegetarian recipes
If you are looking for simple, easy home-cooked Indian vegan/ vegetarian recipes, then don't miss to check the following recipes:
- Aloo baingan (Vegan)
- Aloo matar (Vegan)
- Bhindi masala (Vegan)
- Aloo beans (Vegan)
- Aloo matar gajar (Vegan)
- Paneer do pyaza (Vegetarian)
- Curried turnips (vegetarian)
Step by step photo instructions
If you try any of my recipes, please rate ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ it on the recipe card and also leave your feedback in the comments section below. You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and subscribe to my youtube channel.
- 4 cups medium-sized cauliflower florets 1 medium-sized head of cauliflower
- 2 cups medium-sized potato cubes
- 1 medium-sized red onion finely chopped
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated garlic
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 2 finely chopped green chilies adjust as per taste
- 1/4 cup finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
- 1 teaspoon dried mango powder optional
- 1.5 tbsp mustard oil/ any other cooking oil of your choice
- Salt as per taste
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds. When the seeds start spluttering add grated garlic and saute until the raw smell goes away.
- Add chopped onion and salt. Saute until onion turns golden brown.
- Next, add all the spice powder (except mango powder) along with a tablespoon of water and saute for a few seconds.
- Add chopped tomatoes, mix and cover the pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the tomatoes get nicely cooked.
- Remove the lid, add potatoes, green chilies, and 1/4 cup of water. Mix everything, cover the pan and cook for a few minutes or until the potatoes are half cooked.
- Add cauliflower florets and chopped ginger. Mix and cover the pan again. Cook for around 10-12 minutes. Remove the lid and cook uncovered for another 3-4 minutes.
- Finally add dry mango powder, coriander leaves, and mix well.
- Serve hot with roti, paratha or rice.
- Don't overcook cauliflower otherwise, it will turn mushy.
- Instead of dried mango powder, you can also add lime juice.