Sour cream and onion dip- a deliciously creamy and satisfying dip that can make your appetizers taste even better. It's very easy to make and needs just eight basic ingredients.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases without any extra cost to you.
Even if your appetizer tastes just ok but you serve a delicious dipping sauce with it, your appetizer will be loved by everyone.
And, today I am sharing one such recipe- Sour cream and onion dip. It's a deliciously creamy and satisfying dip that is most commonly used as a chip dip but can make almost every appetizer taste great.
Is sour cream and onion dip the same as French onion dip?
Yes, sour cream-onion dip is also known as French onion dip or California dip.
But, don't get confused by the name, it's not a French dish. French onion dip is from America. It is called French onion dip because the original recipe was made by using dehydrated French onion soup mix.
What goes in this French onion dip?
To make this French onion dip you will be needing only eight ingredients:
- Sour cream
- Onion: Brown, yellow, or white
- Spring onion greens
- Mustard powder
- Canola/ vegetable oil
How to make sour cream and onion dip from scratch?
In the original recipe of this dip, dehydrated French onion soup mix was used and that's how most of the people make it. However, here I am sharing the recipe of making this French onion dip from scratch which is also very easy. You just need to follow the steps given below:
- Finely chop the onion and saute in vegetable oil until it turns golden brown. Allow the onion to reach room temperature.
- Put the sour cream, salt, mustard powder, garlic powder, sugar, chopped spring onion greens, and sautéed onion in a bowl. Mix everything.
- Garnish with chopped spring onion and enjoy with potato chips or any appetizer of your choice.
Step by step photo instructions
The most popular and my favorite way of enjoying French onion dip is with potato chips.
However, you can also enjoy it with any other appetizer. It tastes goes really well with vegetable sticks too.
Because of it's consistency it can also be used as a spread in sandwiches, wraps, or burgers.
How to store?
To store, just put the dip in an air-tight container and keep it in the fridge. It will be fine for around 4 days.
The taste of mustard will become stronger with time.
Recipe tips and tricks
- Cook the onion with patience, it should turn golden brown but should not get burned.
- For a stronger onion flavor, you can add onion powder or dried onion flakes too.
- For a more garlicky taste, you can also saute 1-2 finely chopped garlic cloves along with the onion and use in the dip.
- This dip becomes even more flavorful the next day so you can make it a day in advance.
- For a richer dip, you can also add some cream cheese or mayonnaise to it.
- Keep this French onion dip in the fridge for at least an hour and serve it chilled. It will taste even better.
- If you don't have sour cream and still want to enjoy this dip. Make it with thick yogurt.
More easy dip recipes
Looking for more easy dip recipes from around the world? Don't miss to check the following links:
If you try any of my recipes, please rate ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ it on the recipe card and also leave your feedback in the comments section below. You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and subscribe to my youtube channel.
Sour cream and onion dip
- 1.5 cups sour cream
- 1 white/ yellow onion-finely chopped around 1.5 cups chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil/ canola oil
- 1 stalk spring onion finely chopped
- Heat oil in a pan and add chopped onion. Cook until the onions turn golden brown. Switch off the gas and allow the mixture to reach room temperature.
- In a bowl add sour cream, all the seasonings, spring onion, and fried onion. Mix and enjoy with potato chips or any other snack.
- The flavor of mustard increases after a few hours, so if you prefer milder mustard flavor either reduce the quantity of mustard or don't make this dip in advance.
- You can also add onion powder to the dip.
- For a more garlicky flavor, fry some finely chopped garlic cloves along with onion and use it in the recipe.
- More detailed recipe tips and tricks are given in the post above. Please follow them to make this recipe.
Leave a Reply