Stuffed with chickpeas, onions, and spices, this vegan stuffed butternut squash recipe is delicious, hearty and can be served both as a side dish or in the main course.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Today's recipe- Vegan chickpea stuffed butternut squash was prepared by me a few months back but I somehow missed to publish it then. Yesterday while working on some other recipe I came across the photographs of this one and realized my mistake.
Though very common in the western world, I never saw Butternut Squash in India. So after shifting to Dubai when I saw it in the market, I immediately bought it as I wanted to try how it tastes. Both Amit and I love trying new ingredients.
The first time I made it in Indian style, following my favorite pumpkin recipe and it tasted exactly the same. Slowly I started making Butternut squash recipes from other countries and it became a regular in my kitchen.
One of our favorite ways of having it is in stuffed and baked form. You can get all creative with the stuffing and make a different recipe every time by changing the stuffing ingredients. Today I am sharing one of those recipes where I will make the stuffing with chickpeas, onions, and spices.
This easy recipe is very satisfying, easy to make, healthy and can be served both as a side dish or in the main course.
If you try any of my recipes then please don’t miss to rate it in the comments section below.
Step by step photo instructions
Vegan chickpea stuffed butternut squash
- 1 medium sized butternut squash
- 2 cups boiled/ canned chickpeas
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 cube vegetable bouillon
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder You can also use finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder adjust the quantity as per taste
- 0.5 tablespoon red chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 0.5 tablespoon dry oregano
- Black pepper as per taste
- ¼ cup vegan cheese of your choice optional
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt as per taste
- Cut the butternut squash in half, lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds. Drizzle some olive oil, red chili powder, and place them on a baking tray with flesh side down. Bake in a pre-heated oven for around 45 minutes at 200°C or until the flesh is soft and cooked.
- Once done, take out the butternut squash from the oven and let it reach room temperature. Scoop out the flesh, leaving around half an inch margin on all sides.
- Heat around 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a pan and add chopped onions to it. When the onion starts turning brown add vegetable bouillon cube and saute for around 1-2 minutes. Next, add the chickpeas, butternut squash pulp, salt, and all the spices. Cook for around 5 minutes. Switch off the gas and add lemon juice.
- Stuff the butternut squash cavity with chickpea stuffing. Garnish with vegan cheese (if using), chili flakes and thyme. Bake for another 10 minutes at 200°C. Enjoy!