Aloo Beans is an Indian style potato & French beans recipe. This simple dish is vegan & gluten-free. It can be served with any Indian bread or rice & dal.
Unlike what’s served in most Indian restaurants, Indian home-cooked meals are very simple and nutritious. Generally, any Indian major meal comprises of one vegetable dish, one dal, roti or rice, and a few side dishes like raita, salad, chutney or pickle.
On a normal day, this is what almost every Indian eats. There might be variations in the way these dishes are cooked depending upon the region but the main components remain the same.
Today, I am sharing a very easy vegetable recipe from India- Aloo beans which is vegan as well as gluten-free. It’s made with potatoes, French beans, and a few spices.
This French beans dish is made in every region of India but I am sharing the way it’s cooked in North India. Other regions may have a slightly different way of making it.
If you are planning to serve it for breakfast, then serve it with any Indian bread like Roti or Paratha.
Tips & Tricks
- Don’t add water to cook this dish otherwise, it will turn mushy. The beans should remain slightly crunchy.
- You can also add sliced onion to aloo beans. Just cook it for a few minutes until it turns translucent before adding potatoes.
- Add dry mango powder (amchoor powder) or lime juice to give it a tangy taste.
- You can use any type of beans like cluster beans, string beans, flat beans, etc.
More easy Indian vegetable recipes
If you also want to cook an Indian vegetarian meal at home then you might try one of the following Indian vegetable recipes:
- Aloo Matar
- Bhindi Masala
- Kerala style pepper mushroom
- Aloo baingan
- Gobhi matar methi
- Cabbage poriyal
- Aloo Bhindi
If you try any of my recipes then please don’t miss to rate it in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links shared in my blog are affiliate links and I will get benefited if you buy products from them at no extra cost to you. However, I have personally used most of these products hence recommending them to you. You are free to buy them from anywhere also.
Indian style Potato & French beans recipe
- 250 grams French beans chopped into around 1.5- inch pieces
- 1 medium-sized potato chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1.5 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder adjust as per taste
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mango powder optional, you can also replace it with 1.5 tablespoons of lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon asafoetida
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tbsp mustard oil/ any other cooking oil of your choice
- 4-5 tbsp water
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan and add cumin seeds. Let the cumin seeds splutter in hot oil.
- Add potato cubes and saute for about 1-2 minutes.
- Next, add the French beans, all the spices, salt, and mix.
- Add around 6 tablespoons of water and cover the pan. Allow to cook for around 12-15 minutes or until the potatoes and beans are cooked. Switch off the gas.
- Finally, add dry mango powder or lime juice and mix. Serve hot with roti/ paratha/ or any other Indian bread. You can also enjoy it as a side dish with rice and dal.