Chili garlic tofu is a simple Asian dish that can be served in the main course with rice and noodles or enjoyed as an appetizer. It gets ready in 20 minutes, needs a handful of ingredients, and tastes amazing.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
How much I love tofu can be guessed from the number of tofu recipes on my blog which is still quite new. I can never have enough of it.
However, as shared earlier also my first experience with Tofu wasn’t that pleasant and I had to throw the entire pot of the first tofu dish I ever tried at home.
Later, I learned the correct way of making tofu and now you will always find at least one block of tofu in my fridge.
Today’s recipe- Chili garlic tofu is one of my simplest tofu recipes yet it’s my favorite.
If you love garlic and you love some heat in your food then I am sure you will also love hot garlic tofu.
Making this tofu dish is very simple. You just need to toss tofu cubes with some chili oil, garlic powder, salt, and bake.
While the tofu is getting baked saute garlic and spring onion white in a pan. Add the sauces, chili oil, sugar, salt, pepper. Cook for about a minute, add baked tofu cubes, and spring onion greens. Saute for a minute and it’s ready.
Isn’t it very easy? Still, it tastes amazing.
Type of tofu to use
Use extra-firm tofu in this recipe.
It’s best to remove the excess moisture of tofu by using a tofu press. If you don’t have that, just cover the tofu block with a clean kitchen towel or tissue paper and press with something heavy. Like here I have used a jar of beans.
Leave it like that for around 15-20 minutes and then cut the tofu block in small cubes.
This step is optional but recommended as once the extra moisture comes out of tofu pores, it absorbs the seasoning flavors in a better way.
Type of chili oil to use
Use Asian chili oil in the recipe which is easily available in almost every Asian store.
However, instead of buying from the market I always make my own chili oil at home. If you want, you can check my 5 minutes easy homemade chili oil recipe.
Chili oil is used in a lot of Asian dishes like this easy chili garlic noodles. So, if you like Asian food, I would suggest keeping a jar of chili oil in your kitchen- either store-bought or homemade.
How to serve
Chili garlic tofu can be served with any rice or noodle dish in the main course.
You can also enjoy it as an appetizer. I also love adding it to my Asian buddha bowl or stuffing in my Asian wraps.
Recipe tips and tricks
- Remove the excess moisture from tofu by using a tofu press or pressing it with something heavy.
- To marinade tofu, use fewer chili pieces and more oil from the chili oil. You can also strain the chili oil and then use it in the marination.
- Don’t over-bake the tofu cubes otherwise, they will lose all the moisture and become chewy.
- Vegetarian oyster sauce can also be replaced with any other Asian stir fry sauce of your choice.
- Instead of spring onion, bok choy or spinach can be used too.
More easy tofu recipes
Looking for more easy tofu recipe ideas? Don’t miss to check the following recipes:
If you try any of my recipes then please don’t miss to rate it in the comments section below.
Step by step photo instructions
Chili Garlic Tofu
- 3.5 cups tofu cubes extra firm
- 1 tbsp grated garlic
- 1 cup chopped spring onion keep the green and white part separated
- 2.5 tbsp chili oil 1.5 tbsp + 1 tbsp
- 1 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce/ any other Asian stir fry sauce of your choice
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar white sugar can also be used
- Salt as per taste
- Put the tofu cubes in a large bowl. Add 1.5 tbsp of chili oil, garlic powder, and a pinch of salt. Toss until all the cubes get evenly coated. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°C for around 12-15 minutes.
- In a bowl mix 1 tbsp chili oil, oyster sauce, soy sauce, salt, sugar, and pepper. Keep it aside.
- Heat cooking oil in a pan. Add grated garlic and spring onion white. Saute for a few seconds and then add the sauce mixture. Cook for about a minute.
- Add baked tofu cubes and spring onion green. Saute for about a minute and then switch off the gas.
- Enjoy it as an appetizer or serve in the main course with a rice or noodle dish.
- Instead of oyster sauce, you can also use any other Asian stir fry sauce of your choice.
- You can also add bok choy or spinach to the dish.