Vegan orange tofu is delicious and easy to make recipe in which baked tofu cubes are soaked in a tangy orange sauce. A great option for a hassle-free meatless dinner.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
A lot of my meat-loving friends also like to reserve at least one day of the week for meatless dinner and keep on asking me for suggestions. Today’s recipe – Vegan orange tofu is perfect to be saved for such meatless nights.
It’s a vegan version of the popular recipe-Chinese orange chicken. Though most of us call it a Chinese recipe, many chefs believe that it’s not an authentic Chinese recipe but an Americanized Chinese recipe.
For me what matters is that it tastes great and is very easy to make too.
So, the next time you crave some Chinese takeaway; don’t run for that menu card. Try out this recipe at home and you won’t regret it.
The only effort required in creating this recipe is in baking tofu. Once the tofu is ready, you just need to prepare a sweet and tangy orange sauce which gets ready within minutes, and then soak the baked tofu cubes in it.
If you want, you can also shallow or deep fry the tofu but I prefer healthy tofu recipes so always bake it instead of frying.
Just serve this simple vegan Chinese takeaway dish with some steamed rice and enjoy a healthy flavorful, vegan meal.
More meatless dinner recipes
- Vegan orzo with mushroom and green peas (Italian)
- Lobiya-vegan black-eyed bean curry (Indian)
- Vegan Chickpea stuffed butternut squash (American)
- Vegan Kung Pao noodles with charred broccoli (Chinese)
- Vegetable Jollof rice (Africa)
- Chickpea Pulao (Indian)
More easy tofu recipes
- Vegan fried tofu wonton soup
- Stir-fried tofu with bean sprouts and mushrooms
- Vegan hot tofu bites
- Chinese style vegan noodle soup with bok choy and fried tofu
- Vegan Sisig
- Vegan egg fried rice
- Vegan Thai red curry
- Sweet and sour tofu
If you try any of my recipes and like it, then please don’t miss to rate it and share your comment in the comments section below.
You may also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram.
Step by step photo instructions
Vegan orange tofu
For baking the tofu
- 2 cups firm tofu pressed for around 15-20 minutes and cubed
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the orange sauce
- 4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 small piece of ginger finely chopped
- 2 cups fresh orange juice you can also use unsweetened store bought juice
- 1.5 tbsp cornstarch
- 1.5 tbsp sugar adjust as per taste
- Salt as per taste. Since the sauces are already salty, add the salt carefully and only if required.
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- ½ tbsp any hot sauce of your choice
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ cup water, at room temperature
- Chili flakes
- Chopped scallion
- Put all the ingredients required for baking tofu (except tofu) in a bowl and mix well. Now add the tofu cubes. Cover the bowl with a lid, shake well until all the cubes get nicely coated.
- Spread the tofu cubes on a nonstick baking tray and put in a pre-heated oven. Bake for around 25-30 minutes and 200 degrees celsius.
- In a bowl mix orange juice with soy sauce, hot sauce, vinegar, and sugar, till sugar gets dissolved.
- In another bowl, mix cornstarch with water and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a wok and add chopped ginger and garlic to it. Saute till they become fragrant.
- Pour the orange juice mixture in the wok and let cook for a few minutes till the sauce starts boiling,
- Add the cornstarch slurry, mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes or till the sauce gets thickened
- Add the baked tofu cubes and mix.
- Check the seasoning, and add salt only if required. Switch off the gas.
- Garnish with chopped scallion and chili flakes. Serve with steamed rice and enjoy.
Tofu is our favorite ingredient and this orange tofu recipe sounds perfectly apt to suit our palates.
Jagruti's Cooking Odyssey
We love tofu and oranges, so this dish is right up my alley. The sweet and tangy flavours from orange juice make this dish so unique and delicious!
Thank you Jagruti.
I love that orange sauce. What a great recipe this is with tofu and so perfect for vegetarian/ vegan. We could even throw in some vegetables along with tofu. I will be trying this soon!
Thanks, Sandhya. You are right, adding a few other vegetables will make it tastier and healthier.
Rafeeda - The Big Sweet Tooth
I am sure that this tasted out of the world. That orange sauce looks so delectable, and surely a treat for vegans...
Thanks Rafeeda. Yes it was delicious 🙂
Wow, what a wonderful recipe Vandana, sometimes I envy when my family can order chicken in orange sauce and I can't as I don't eat meat. Definitely a dish I'd love to try out and enjoy.
Thank you so much Mayuri, hope you enjoy it too.
Vegan Orange Tofu looks and sounds so flavoursome. It will be ideal for dinner and I am loving that mild flavour of orange here. Nice share.
Thanks a lot Jayashree. Hope you enjoy it.
I love orange in everything. And this orange tofu looks super tempting. I can imagine the aroma and taste. Bookmarking it to try sometime.
Thanks a lot, Sujata.
I love baked tofu and your version of orange tofu sounds flavorful and delicious. I am going to try this for my family sometime. Thank you for sharing this yummy recipe.
Thank you so much Pavani, hope you enjoy it.
Orange tofu sounds totally unique and scrumptious dish. I'm sure this will be a hit at party. I must try this recipe for Christmas party.
Thanks Geetha. Yes, it was delicious.
Vegan orange tofu recipe sounds so flavourful and delicious. I am yet to make this with chicken as i have always loved the orange flavours.
And moreover Chinese style cooking is loved at my place so it's a must try for me.
Thanks a lot Lata. I also love anything that has orange in it.