Soft and crispy tofu in a delicious creamy peanut sauce garnished with crushed peanuts, black sesame seeds, and chopped spring onion. Serve this easy vegan Asian dish with steamed sticky or jasmine rice and satisfy your craving for Asian takeaways.
If you follow my blog then you must be knowing that most of my recipes are quick and easy. Except 1-2 recipes there is hardly any complicated one. My recipes are so simple that even if you are entering your kitchen for the first time, you will be able to make them easily.
The reason is that though I love cooking and eating, I don’t like spending hours in the kitchen. So, if you are also like me then you will find my recipes useful.
Today I am sharing another such recipe which is made using a few basic ingredients and gets ready within minutes. And, it tastes amazing. The dish is – Tofu in peanut sauce or peanut butter tofu. If you love peanut butter or tofu then you must try it.
Acquiring taste for tofu
I get a lot of messages from my readers sharing that though they love how tofu dishes look but hate the taste. I can very well understand that because I also hated it when I tried it for the first time. In fact, I had to throw the whole dish because I couldn’t swallow tofu. And, I am a person who is strictly against wasting food.
So, if you are also facing this challenge then don’t worry- most of the people who didn’t grow up eating tofu hate it initially as tofu has an acquired taste.
I will share the way I developed taste for it. Tofu is now one of my favorite ingredients and you will never find my fridge without it.
- Don’t start with raw tofu. Begin with fried tofu then move to baked tofu, slowly you won’t mind eating raw tofu too.
- Season it properly. Since tofu doesn’t have any taste of its own, flavor it with your favorite ingredients before frying or baking. The tofu sponge will soak all the flavors and it will be easier to eat it.
- Mix it with other ingredients that you love. Like in this dish I have mixed it with peanut butter another favorite ingredient of mine.
Slowly, with these simple tips, you will also start enjoying tofu.
How to serve?
The best way to enjoy this dish is with some steamed rice and grilled vegetables o the side. I would recommend jasmine rice, sticky rice or any other short-grain rice with this or any other East or South-East Asian curry or stir-fried dish. Long grain Basmati rice doesn’t go well with them.
It can also be served with any noodle dish of your choice.
You can make it a component of your vegan buddha bowl too.
More easy vegan Asian recipes
I love Asian recipes and instead of takeaways, I prefer making them at home. If you also want to try them at home then don’t miss to check the following easy Asian recipes at home:
If you try any of my recipes then please don’t miss to rate it in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links shared in my blog are affiliate links and I will get benefited if you buy products from them at no extra cost to you. However, I have personally used most of these products hence recommending them to you. You are free to buy them from anywhere also.
Tofu in Peanut Sauce recipe
Tofu in peanut sauce
- 3 cups firm/ extra firm tofu cubes
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 6 cloves garlic, grated
- 5 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon sriracha/ any other hot sauce adjust as per taste
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup you can use any other sweetener of your choice
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper powder
- Salt as per taste
- 1 cup water
Ingredients for garnishing (optional)
- Chopped green onion
- Black sesame seeds
- Roasted peanuts, crushed
- Put the tofu cubes in a bowl. Add 1 teaspoon sesame oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Toss well. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200 degrees Celsius for 12-15 minutes. Take out on a plate and keep aside.
- Put all the remaining ingredients, except water in a pot, mix and cook till peanut butter starts melting. Add water and allow to simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Finally, add the tofu cubes, mix well and cook for 1-2 minutes. Switch off the gas.
- Garnish with chopped spring onion, sesame seeds, and crushed peanuts. Serve hot with jasmine rice and grilled vegetables of your choice.