Vegan tofu noodle soup is a delicious and very easy to make Asian soup that gets ready in just 25 minutes. This light soup is perfect for cold evenings when you want to enjoy something comforting without spending hours in the kitchen.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
A cup of delicious hot soup is universal comfort food. Its warmth relaxes you instantly and makes you feel good. Just the thought of a bowl of piping hot soup on a cold evening is so comforting.
Today I am sharing the recipe of vegan tofu noodle soup which gets ready in just 25 minutes and is so easy to make that you can instantly make it whenever you crave soup.
If you are a new vegan or vegetarian and still miss your chicken noodle soup then do try this vegan version, you will never miss the chicken noodle soup again.
We had this noodle soup last week only but its ingredients have already been re-filled in my kitchen. No matter how much I make it, when I am about to finish this soup in my bowl, I always regret not making it a little more to satisfy my greedy self.
What goes in this vegan noodle soup?
To make this easy Chinese tofu soup with noodles, the following ingredients will be required:
- Bok choy: I love the taste of bok choy in noodle soup but you can also use spinach or just spring onion in it.
- Tofu: Use firm tofu.
- Noodles: Any type of noodles can be used. You can also use instant ramen in this soup.
- Spring onion (both green and white part)
- Vegetable stock: homemade/store-bought both are fine. Mushroom stock can also be used.
- Ground black pepper
- Any hot sauce
- Soy sauce: If the saltiness of soy sauce is not enough for you in the soup add some salt too.
- White vinegar
- Cooking oil: Preferably vegetable oil mixed with some sesame oil. Sesame oil makes Asian dishes more flavorful with its nutty taste.
How to make this soup?
Making this tofu noodle soup is very easy. It requires just the following major steps which are very easy:
- Baking tofu cubes: The only effort required is in baking the tofu cubes which can also be done simultaneously while preparing the broth. To bake tofu, just remove the excess moisture of the tofu block by pressing it between a clean kitchen towel. Cut into cubes, toss with some soy sauce and pepper. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°C (around 400°F) for around 12-14 minutes. If you like the taste of raw tofu, you don't need to bake it. And even if you are baking tofu, don't bake it for a very long time. The outer layer should turn slightly crisp but the inside should remain moist and creamy.
- Preparing the broth: White the tofu is getting baked, prepare a simple broth. To make it just saute ginger and garlic in oil. Once they turn fragrant, add spring onion white, finely chopped bok choy stalk, and saute for about a minute. Use only the soft part of bok choy stalk, if it's very hard and woody, discard it. Add vegetable stock and sauces. Simmer.
- Adding noodles, tofu, and greens: Add noodles and let them stay in the boiling broth for about a minute. Add bok choy greens and pepper. Simmer until the noodles get cooked. Finally, add tofu cubes and vinegar. Mix and cook for a minute. Garnish with spring onion and enjoy.
How to make spicy noodle soup?
If you want to make this tofu noodle soup spicier, add a few teaspoons of Asian chili oil.
Though chili oil is easily available in the market at most of the places, it can be made at home in just 5 minutes. You can check my Chili oil recipe if you have never made it at home before.
Other than chili oil you can also saute some chili flakes or finely chopped hot chili peppers with ginger and garlic to make this noodle soup spicy.
Or, simply increase the amount of hot sauce in the soup
Recipe tips & tricks
- Not a fan of tofu? Skip it in the recipe and add vegetables like peas, carrots, beans, or mushrooms to make vegetable noodle soup. Even bean sprouts can be added to it.
- If you are in the mood to have a very basic and simple noodle soup- make this recipe with only noodles and spring onion. It still tastes delicious, comforting and light.
- And, if you prefer more flavorful broth, season it with Chinese five spice powder. Around 1/2 a teaspoon of it will be enough in this recipe.
- Instead of noodles you can also use any pasta of your choice in this recipe.
- If you prefer more soup and less noodles in this dish, reduce the quantity of noodles.
Step by step photo instructions
More vegan Asian soup recipes
Looking for more easy vegan Asian soup recipes? Don't miss to check the following links:
- Vegan khow suey-Burmese
- Vegan curry laksa-Malaysia
- Vegan mushroom tom yum soup - Thai
- Vegan fried tofu and wonton soup- Chinese.
If you try any of my recipes, please rate it in the recipe card and also leave your feedback in the comments section below. You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and subscribe to my youtube channel.
Vegan Tofu Noodle Soup
- baking tray
- Large cooking pot
Ingredients for baking tofu
- 300 grams extra firm tofu cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 150 grams uncooked noodles
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 inch piece of ginger minced
- 1 stalk of green onion- finely chopped keep white and green part separated
- 1 head of bok choy - roughly chopped keep the leaves and stalk separated
- 2.5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sriracha/ any hot sauce adjust as per taste
- 0.5 tablespoon vinegar
- 8 cups vegetable stock/ water
- Ground black pepper as per taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Wrap the tofu block in a clean kitchen towel and gently press to remove excess moisture from it. Remove the towel and cut the block into bite-size cubes.
- Put the tofu cubes in a large bowl. Add soy sauce and pepper. Gently toss. Spread on a baking tray lined with a baking sheet. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°C (around 400°F) for around 12-14 minutes.
- While the tofu is getting baked, heat oil in a pot. Add minced ginger and garlic. Saute for a few seconds.
- Add spring onion white and bok choy stalk. Saute for about a minute.
- Pour stock. Add soy sauce and hot sauce. Mix and let the soup simmer.
- Add noodles, bok choy leaves, and pepper. Mix and cook until the noodle gets cooked.
- Add vinegar and baked tofu. Mix and cook for another minute and then switch off the gas. Garnish with chopped spring onion and enjoy!
- If you don't like tofu, add vegetables like peas, carrots, beans, or mushrooms to make vegetable noodle soup. Even bean sprouts can be added to it.
- To make the broth more flavorful season it with Chinese five-spice powder.
- For spicy noodle soup, add chili oil.
- Instead of noodles, you can also use any pasta of your choice in this recipe.
- More detailed recipe tips are given in the post above. Please follow them to make this soup.