Seviyan kheer or Vermicelli kheer is one of the most popular pudding recipes of India. Whether it’s Eid, Diwali, or a small family get together, the celebration is incomplete without this simple yet delicious eggless pudding.
Though, a part of almost every Indian celebration, Seviyan kheer is a specialty of Eid celebration. Receiving bowls of Seviyan and Biryani during Eid from our Muslim neighbors was something we used to look forward to every year.
How to make it?
This kheer recipe is one of the simplest pudding recipes and can be prepared quickly when you have sudden guests at home or to satisfy your sudden sweet craving.
You just need to roast the vermicelli till it turns brown. Simmer the milk till it starts thickening then add the roasted vermicelli and dry fruits to it. Allow vermicelli to get cooked in milk. Add sugar, mix, and enjoy.
Yes, it’s that simple.
A lot of people roast the vermicelli in ghee but I prefer dry roasting it, the way my mother used to do. The mere thought of adding ghee to milk makes me nauseous.
You can also buy roasted vermicelli from the market. I also do that, it not only saves time but also increases the shelf life of vermicelli.
If I couldn't find roasted vermicelli in the market, I buy the buy normal, dry roast it in advance, and then store it in the container. This saves a lot of time when I make a recipe that needs roasted vermicelli.
How to serve?
Seviyan kheer tastes great whether served hot, warm or chilled. Depending on the weather or your taste preference, choose the way you want to serve it.
How to make vegan Seviyan kheer?
It’s very easy to make a vegan version of this pudding, just use your choice of plant-based milk instead of dairy milk.
The strong taste of coconut milk may become a bit overpowering in this recipe which originally has very subtle flavors. Try using cashew nut or almond milk.
Looking for more eggless pudding recipes? Don’t miss to check out the recipes below:
- Tembleque –Puerto Rico(Vegan)
- Sabudana kheer- India (Vegetarian)
- Phirni-India (Vegetarian)
- Riz bi Haleeb- Lebanon (Vegetarian)
No matter what’s the occasion, try this pudding recipe when you celebrate something next, and don’t miss sharing your feedback and rating in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links shared in my blog are affiliate links and I will get benefited if you buy products from them at no extra cost to you. However, I have personally used most of these products hence recommending them to you. You are free to buy them from anywhere also.
How to make Seviyan Kheer?
- ¾ cup Seviyan (vermicelli)
- 1 litre full cream milk
- 6-7 tbsp sugar adjust the quantity as per your taste
- 4 tbsp chopped nuts I have used almonds, cashew nuts, and raisins
- ¼ teaspoon green cardamom powder
- Dry roast vermicelli until it turns golden brown. Keep aside.
- Heat milk in a heavy-bottomed pan. Once the milk starts boiling add chopped dry fruits and allow to simmer for around 15 minutes on low flame. Keep on stirring in between to make sure that the milk doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Once the milk starts thickening, add roasted vermicelli. Mix well and cook for another 10-12 minutes.
- Add sugar and cardamom powder. Mix well and switch off the gas.
- Garnish with chopped nuts or saffron strands and serve. It can be served hot, warm or chilled.
- Adjust the sugar quantity as per your preference.
- Roasted vermicelli is easily available in the market. To save time you can buy that.