Borscht is a very popular soup from Russia, Ukraine, and Eastern Europe. This vegan version is equally flavorful and healthy.
There is an old Yiddish saying that ‘Troubles are easier to take with soup than without’ and I truly agree with that.
Who doesn’t love a bowl of hot, comforting soup? It’s all that you need after a long tiring day no matter which part of the world you belong to.
So, today I am sharing the vegan version of a very popular soup from Russia & Ukraine- Borscht. This soup is not only tasty and healthy but also looks appealing due to its beautiful deep red color.
Did I share with you that red is my favorite color? I am so crazy about it that for years I maintained my account in a Bank just because their debit cards and cheque books were of a beautiful red shade.
No wonder that initially, I noticed this recipe just because of its beautiful red color. Luckily it even tasted good :).
Borscht gets its beautiful color from one of its key ingredients- Beetroot.
Traditionally, it’s made with meat, bone stock and vegetables. In this vegan version, I will only be using vegetables but it will taste equally good.
I would love to know if you are also crazy about a color and what insane things have you done because of that color craze 🙂
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links shared in my blog are affiliate links and I will get benefited if you buy products from them at no extra cost to you. However, I have personally used most of these products hence recommending them to you. You are free to buy them from anywhere also.
How to make Vegan Borscht?
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
- Finely chopped beetroot: 2 cups
- Finely shredded cabbage: 1 cup
- Finely shredded carrot: 1 cup
- Finely chopped onion: ½ a cup
- Crushed garlic cloves: 4-5
- Potato cubes: ½ a cup
- Chopped tomatoes: ½ a cup
- Finely chopped parsley: 2 tablespoons
- Finely chopped dill: 2 tablespoons
- Lime juice: 2 tablespoons
- Vegetable stock cube: 1
- Bay leaves: 3-4
- Crushed peppercorns: 1 teaspoon/ as per taste
- Tomato paste: 1 tablespoon
- Salt: As per taste
- Olive oil: 1 tablespoon
- Vegan sour cream: For serving (optional but recommended, if you are not vegan use normal sour cream)
- Boiling water: 1.5 liters or as required to get the required consistency
- Heat oil in a pan and add chopped onions to it, saute for few minutes.
- Once the onion turns translucent, add in the chopped beetroot and saute for 4-5 minutes.
- Next add in the cabbage, carrot and cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Now add boiling water, vegetable stock, potatoes, tomato, tomato paste, salt, crushed peppercorns, bay leaves and mix well. Cover the pan and let it cook on medium flame for 30-35 minutes.
- After 35 minutes, add in the chopped dill, parsley, and lime juice, cook for another 5 minutes and then switch off the gas.
- Take out the soup in a serving bowl, add a dollop of sour cream and enjoy your Russian Borscht!