Beetroot Poriyal or Beetroot Thoran is a tasty vegan and gluten-free stir-fried beetroot recipe from India. Very easy to make, this quick beetroot recipe gets ready in under 30 minutes and is a specialty of South India.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Today I am sharing a very easy sautéed beetroot recipe from South India called Beetroot Poriyal/ Thoran. It’s healthy, tasty, quick and has a unique combination of beetroots and shredded coconut.
What is Beetroot Poriyal?
Poriyal is a Tamil word used for stir-fried or sautéed vegetables. In Kerala, it’s called Thoran. So beetroot Poriyal is stir-fried beetroot in South Indian style.
You can make poriyal with different vegetables like carrots, French beans, cabbage, etc. My favorite is cabbage poriyal and that’s also the first poriyal I ever ate.
Can it be made without coconut?
If you don’t like the taste of coconut, you can make it without coconut too. But if you like coconut I would highly recommend adding it. Coconut not only gives it a nice flavor but also adds texture to the stir-fried beets.
How to Serve?
Though you can serve it with roti or paratha too, I feel South Indian dishes taste best with rice. Serve beetroot thoran with some steamed rice, sambhar, rasam or lentil.
In this recipe I have very finely chopped the beetroot using a manual chopper. You can also grate it from the thick side of the grater. Just don’t make big pieces of beetroot in this recipe, they will take time to cook. Also, I feel that very fine pieces or shredded beetroot taste best in poriyal.
More easy vegan and vegetarian South Indian recipes
If you also like South Indian food but don’t know where to start, try with the following easy South Indian recipes :
More vegan and vegetarian beet recipes
Looking for more ideas to add beetroot to your diet? Don’t miss to check the following vegan beets recipes on this blog:
- Beetroot Hummus
- Beetroot hummus and avocado sandwich
- Borscht- Russian beet soup
- Vegan borscht
- Beetroot raita
- Beetroot rice
If you try any of my recipes then please don’t miss to rate it in the comments section below.
Step by step photo instructions
- 2 large beetroots very finely chopped or grated
- 6-7 red pearl onions cut in half
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1-2 green chilies finely chopped
- A sprig of curry leaves
- 3 tbsp freshly grated coconut
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ tbsp urad dal split skinned black gram
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tbsp cooking oil preferably coconut oil
- Juice of ½ a lime or as per taste
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and urad dal to it. Once the seeds start spluttering add the curry leaves, onions, and green chilies.
- When the onions turn translucent add the chopped beetroot and grated ginger. Mix everything, cover the pan and allow to cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Finally, add the grated coconut, mix and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Switch off the gas, add fresh lime juice and serve with rice and rasam/ sambhar/ dal.