Bharwan bhindi or stuffed okra is a delicious vegan and slime free okra recipe from India. A must try easy & quick recipe.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Though winter is my favorite season, there are a few reasons which make summer tolerable for me and these reasons are mangoes, okra, and my memories of summer break of school when we used to visit our grandparent's house.
In India, the market gets filled with fresh okra and mangoes as soon as summer starts. These two things are loved by almost every Indian.
There are a lot of different ways of making Okra and I will try to share a lot of okra recipes this summer.
Today’s recipe – Bharwan bhindi which means stuffed okra is one of my favorite vegetable dishes.
It’s very easy to make, needs only a few ingredients, gets ready within 30 minutes and is delicious.
Even Bharwan bhindi can be made in different ways and today I am sharing the most basic one in which only a few simple spices are added to it.
In this recipe, I have used mustard oil as it gives a very nice flavor to the okra and I would highly recommend using it. However, if you can't find mustard oil, use any other cooking oil of your choice.
How to make slime free okra
- Never wash okra just before making a dish. Let it air dry completely for at least an hour otherwise, it will never be a slime-free dish.
- Except for Bharwan bhindi, never add salt to an okra recipe until it's almost cooked.
- Never add water to an okra recipe if you want it slime free.
- Don’t stir okra too much while cooking, it's better to move the pan to toss it.
- Except for Bharwan bhindi, don’t cover and cook okra i.e. always cook it uncovered.
- Always add something sour, like in this recipe we will add dry mango powder. It helps in making slime free okra.
If you follow these simple steps, your okra will always be slime free.
How to serve Bharwan bhindi
Bharwan bhindi is served with Indian bread like roti/ paratha/ naan. You can also serve it with rice and dal.
Easy Indian Okra recipes
As a kid, any okra dish and crisp paratha were my favorite things to carry in school Tiffin. In India Okra is cooked in a lot of different ways. You can check some of those recipes below:
Easy Indian vegetarian recipes
Seasonal vegetables are an important part of Indian cooking. You can check some simple Indian recipes made using different vegetables below:
If you try any of my recipes then please don’t miss to rate it in the comments section below.
Step by step photo instructions
Bharwan bhindi-stuffed okra
- 30-32 pieces okra medium sized
- 3 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried mango powder
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tbsp + 1 tbsp mustard oil
- Wash and nicely pat dry the okra. Make sure that there is no water on okra. You can keep them folded in a kitchen paper towel for an hour.
- Remove the head and pointed tips of okra and make a vertical slit on them.
- In a bowl mix all the spices, salt and 2 tbsp mustard oil to prepare the stuffing,
- Fill around 1/4 a teaspoon of this stuffing inside every okra.
- Heat oil in a pan and place okra on it. Cover the pan and cook for around 4-5 minutes on low flame. After 4 minutes flip them over and cook the other side also for around 3-4 minutes.
- Once the okra is nicely cooked from both the ends, switch off the gas and take them out on a serving plate.
- Serve with paratha, roti, or naan. You can also serve it with rice and dal.