Muhammara is an extremely delicious vegan Middle Eastern dip made with charred red peppers, walnuts, and few other basic ingredients.
Muhammara is a delicious red pepper sauce from the Middle East. A lot of people also know it as Syrian red pepper sauce or Turkish red pepper sauce.
Though a Middle Eastern dining table is dominated by non-vegetarian starters and main course, it always has a very impressive array of vegan & vegetarian side dishes. The fresh, light refreshing side dishes help in balancing the richness of meat-based starters and main course.
More vegan Middle Eastern side dishes on this blog:
Muhammara is one such non-dairy veggie dip which is believed to be originally from Aleppo in Syria but is very popular in the entire Middle East.
This healthy roasted red pepper dip is very easy to make and tastes delicious.
How to serve Muhammara?
- Serve Muhammara as a dip/ sauce with your favorite appetizers like falafel. I love having them with pita chips. You can have it with any type of chips.
- Muhammara serves as a delicious vegan spread in sandwiches or wraps. I love using this vegan spread on my stuffed pita pockets.
The key ingredients of this healthy nutty dip are red bell pepper, walnuts, bread crumbs, and pomegranate molasses. You can make it a gluten-free dip by using gluten-free bread crumbs.
So next time you want to snack on something tasty and healthy, try Syrian Muhammara with pita chips.
If you try any of my recipes then please don’t miss to share your feedback and rate the recipe in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links shared in my blog are affiliate links and I will get benefited if you buy products from them at no extra cost to you. However, I have personally used most of these products hence recommending them to you. You are free to buy them from anywhere also.
How to make Muhammara?
- 2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 tbsp bread crumbs
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chili flakes or as per taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp salt or as per taste
- Cut the red bell peppers into half and roast in a pre-heated oven at 220°C for around 25 minutes or till they get charred. Turn them over halfway through. Once done take them out and keep aside till they reach room temperature.
- Add the charred bell pepper and all the remaining ingredients in a grinder and make a paste.
- Pour the paste in a serving bowl. Drizzle some olive oil and garnish with chopped parsley, cumin powder, and red chili powder.
- Serve with toasted pita bread/ falafel or any snack of your choice. You can also use it as a spread on sandwiches or wraps.