Muhammara is an extremely delicious vegan Middle Eastern dip made with charred red peppers, walnuts, and few other basic ingredients.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Muhammara is a delicious red pepper sauce from the Middle East. A lot of people also know it as Syrian red pepper sauce or Turkish red pepper sauce.
Though a Middle Eastern dining table is dominated by non-vegetarian starters and main course, it always has a very impressive array of vegan & vegetarian side dishes. The fresh, light refreshing side dishes help in balancing the richness of meat-based starters and main course.
More vegan Middle Eastern side dishes
Muhammara is one such non-dairy veggie dip that is believed to be originally from Aleppo in Syria but is very popular in the entire Middle East.
This healthy roasted red pepper dip is very easy to make and tastes delicious.
How to serve Muhammara?
- Serve Muhammara as a dip/ sauce with your favorite appetizers like falafel. I love having them with pita chips. You can have it with any type of chips.
- Muhammara serves as a delicious vegan spread in sandwiches or wraps. I love using this vegan spread on my stuffed pita pockets.
The key ingredients of this healthy nutty dip are red bell pepper, walnuts, bread crumbs, and pomegranate molasses. You can make it a gluten-free dip by using gluten-free bread crumbs.
So next time you want to snack on something tasty and healthy, try Syrian Muhammara with pita chips.
More easy vegan dipping sauce recipes
Looking for quick and easy vegan dipping sauce recipes from around the world? Don't miss to check the following recipes:
Step by step photo instructions
If you try any of my recipes, please rate it in the recipe card and also leave your feedback in the comments section below. You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and subscribe to my youtube channel.
- 2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 tbsp bread crumbs
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chili flakes or as per taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp salt or as per taste
- Cut the red bell peppers into half and roast in a pre-heated oven at 220°C for around 25 minutes or till they get charred. Turn them over halfway through. Once done take them out and keep aside till they reach room temperature.
- Add the charred bell pepper and all the remaining ingredients in a grinder and make a paste.
- Pour the paste in a serving bowl. Drizzle some olive oil and garnish with chopped parsley, cumin powder, and red chili powder.
- Serve with toasted pita bread/ falafel or any snack of your choice. You can also use it as a spread on sandwiches or wraps.