This Indian style Peanut Salad is a very tasty, nutritious, and simple salad made with some very basic ingredients like soaked peanuts, fresh shredded coconut, cucumber, carrots, and pomegranate.
Every year during Navratri I post a couple of Navratri recipes on my blog. This time I couldn’t post any because of Corona.
During my last 5 years in Dubai, I could find only one chain of Indian stores keeping all the special ingredients required for the Navratri recipes. Unfortunately, we don’t have any of their stores near our house. And, I didn’t want to go too far for shopping in the current situation.
So, this year I managed with whatever was available in my kitchen. Today the festival will end so I thought of sharing at least one Navratri recipe.
You can eat this delicious vegan salad on any other day of the year too. All the ingredients used in it are generally available in almost every kitchen so you can easily make it during this tough time too.
This easy peanut salad is a specialty of the western states of India.
Tips and tricks
- If possible, use big size peanuts in this salad.
- Removing the skin of peanuts is not mandatory. If you want you can use peanuts with skin.
- The longer you soak the peanuts, the tastier they will become. Try soaking overnight or at least for 7-8 hours.
- If you don’t like the taste of raw peanuts, blanch them for a few minutes before adding to the salad.
- In case you don’t have fresh coconut, soak the desiccated milk in some coconut milk or normal milk for around 30 minutes and then use. You can also use desiccated coconut just like that if you like its taste.
- You can use any other fruit or vegetable of your choice like chopped apple, strawberry, mango, tomatoes, etc. to make it tastier. If not making for Navratri even chopped onion can be added.
Easy recipes made with pantry staples
Don’t miss to check the following simple recipes that you can make with limited ingredients available in your kitchen:
Easy Navratri recipes
And, if you looking for recipe ideas for Navratri, then don’t miss to check the following easy recipes:
If you try any of my recipes then please don’t miss to rate it in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links shared in my blog are affiliate links and I will get benefited if you buy products from them at no extra cost to you. However, I have personally used most of these products hence recommending them to you. You are free to buy them from anywhere also.
How to make Peanut Salad?
Indian Peanut Salad
- 2 cups raw peanuts
- 1/2 cup freshly grated coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup finely chopped coriander leaves
- 5-6 finely chopped mint leaves
- 1 finely green chili
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Salt as per taste
- Wash and soak the peanuts in water for at least 6-8 hours or overnight. In the morning, discard the water and remove the peanut skin.
- In a bowl mix all the ingredients, toss well. Check and adjust the seasoning. Enjoy!
- Removing the skin of peanuts is optional. If you like you can use peanuts with skin.
- You can also blanch the peanuts before using in this salad.