This Indian style Peanut Salad is a very tasty, nutritious, and simple salad made with some very basic ingredients like soaked peanuts, fresh shredded coconut, cucumber, carrots, and pomegranate.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases without any extra cost to you.
Peanut is one of my favorite things to munch on. I always keep dry roasted peanuts in my kitchen and generally just sprinkle some pink salt and pepper on it.
I also love adding roasted peanuts to my salads or noodles.
Another very good way of enjoying peanut is in it's boiled form. Just soak peanuts overnight and boil them in the morning with some salt. You can enjoy it just like that as a healthy snack. Or, use the boiled peanuts to make a salad something like this Indian peanut salad whose recipe I have shared today.
This vegan peanut salad is also a great option to make for the Indian festival Navratri when a lot of ingredients are restricted to be used in cooking.
However, you can eat it on any other day of the year too. All the ingredients used in it are generally available in almost every kitchen.
This easy peanut salad is a specialty of the western states of India.
Recipe tips and tricks
- If possible, use big size peanuts in this salad.
- Removing the skin of peanuts is not mandatory. If you want you can use peanuts with the skin.
- The longer you soak the peanuts, the tastier they will become. Try soaking overnight or at least for 7-8 hours.
- If you like the taste of raw soaked peanuts, blanch them for a few minutes before adding them to the salad.
- In case you don't have fresh coconut, soak the desiccated milk in some coconut milk or normal milk for around 30 minutes and then use.
- You can use any other fruit or vegetable of your choice like chopped apple, strawberry, mango, tomatoes, etc. to make it tastier. If not making for Navratri even chopped onion can be added.
Easy vegan recipes made with pantry staples
Don't miss to check the following simple recipes that you can make with limited ingredients available in your kitchen:
Easy Navratri recipes
And, if you looking for recipe ideas for Navratri, then don't miss to check the following easy recipes:
If you try any of my recipes then please don’t miss to rate it in the comments section below.
Step by step photo instructions
Indian Peanut Salad
- 2 cups raw peanuts
- 1/2 cup freshly grated coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup finely chopped coriander leaves
- 5-6 finely chopped mint leaves
- 1 finely green chili
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Salt as per taste
- Wash and soak the peanuts in water for at least 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Put the peanuts, salt, and water in a pan. Cover and cook for around 10-15 minutes. Discard water and allow the peanuts to reach room temerature. Remove the skin.
- In a bowl put all the ingredients, toss well. Check and adjust the seasoning. Enjoy!
- Removing the skin of peanuts is optional. You can also use peanuts with the skin.
- If you like the taste of raw soaked peanuts, no need to cook it.