Lentil quinoa soup is a delicious and filling soup from Morocco. Made with red lentil, quinoa, vegetables, and warm spices, it's a vegan and gluten-free soup.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
To make you feel a little better in this tough time that our world is going through, I am sharing the recipe of a comforting, delicious, and filling soup- Moroccan Lentil Quinoa Soup.
A few months back I shared the recipe of another very tasty Moroccan soup- spiced chickpea and sweet potato soup. If you have missed it, then you can check it here.
For the past few days, many of my readers are asking me to share recipes that can be made with pantry staples. This lentil quinoa soup is made with some easily available ingredients. Also, since it's vegan and gluten-free almost everyone, irrespective of dietary preference can enjoy it.
The combination of lentil and quinoa makes this soup very filling. So, you can also enjoy it as a satisfying meal. You can serve bread or soup sticks on the side.
Since we all have limited ingredients in our kitchen these days and it's better to avoid going out in search of ingredients given in a recipe, I am sharing some variation suggestions:
- This soup can be made with brown or yellow lentil too. Feel free to use whichever lentil you have. Some lentils like brown lentil will take more time to get cooked so prepare accordingly
- If you don't have spinach, use any other leafy greens available in your kitchen. You can also add cabbage if you have.
- Don't have quinoa? Use couscous.
- Instead of carrot and celery, you can also use potatoes, sweet potatoes, broccoli, zucchini, mushrooms, or any other vegetable of your choice.
- If the spices used in the recipe are not available in your kitchen, flavor your soup with fresh or dried herbs that you have.
Step by step photo instructions
More healthy quinoa recipes
Want to make quinoa a regular part of your diet? Don't miss to check the following easy and healthy quinoa recipes on my blog:
- Healthy quinoa with roasted vegetables
- Quinoa fruit salad
- Mexican style quinoa
- Vegan quinoa salad
- Quinoa pulao
- Quinoa beet salad-Middle Eastern style
More vegan soup recipes
If a bowl of delicious soup gives you comfort then don't miss to check the following easy vegan soup recipes:
- Greek chickpea soup
- Cabbage soup
- Vegan Minestrone Soup
- Blackbean soup
- Lebanese red lentil soup
- Ginger carrot soup
If you try any of my recipes, please rate ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ it in the recipe card and also leave your feedback in the comments section below. You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and subscribe to my youtube channel.
Lentil quinoa soup
- 3/4 cup red lentil
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 stalk celery finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped tomato
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 5 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 3 cups roughly chopped spinach
- Juice of 1/2 a lime adjust as per taste
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder adjust as per taste
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper adjust as per taste
- Salt as per taste
- 1 cube vegetable bouillon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 7 cups water adjust to get the desired consistency.
Ingredients for garnishing (optional)
- Fresh coriander leaves
- Lime wedges
- Chili flakes
- Heat oil in a pot and add chopped onion and garlic. Saute till onions become translucent.
- Add chopped carrots and celery. Saute for around 2-3 minutes.
- Add all the spices and salt. Mix and saute for a few seconds or until the spices become fragrant.
- Wash the lentil and add to the pot. Also, add the vegetable bouillon cube. Mix everything and add water. Cover the pot and cook the lentil for around 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove the lid, add chopped tomatoes and quinoa. Mix everything. Cover the pot again and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Finally add the chopped spinach, cover the pot and cook for around 5 minutes. Switch off the gas.
- To serve, add some fresh lime juice, garnish with chopped coriander and chili flakes. Serve hot.