Aloo ke gutke is a delicious pan-fried potatoes recipe from the Himalayas. This vegan and gluten-free dish gets ready in 20 minutes and can be served in the main course as well as enjoyed as a starter.
My home town in India is in a beautiful Himalayan state –Uttarakhand. Though I never loved there for a long period, our every year’s school breaks were reserved to visit our grandparents in Uttarakhand. Those were the most enjoyable holidays of my life – even better than the holidays we plan to the most exotic places in the world now.
Most of the dishes in the Uttarakhand cuisine are very simple, made with basic fresh ingredients and taste heavenly. So, I am sharing a simple and very popular recipe from Uttarakhand called Aloo ke gutke as the first recipe on my blog .
What is Aloo ke gutke?
It’s is a pan-fried potato recipe made in Indian style. If you ever travel to Uttarakhand you will find this dish in the menu card of every restaurant and dhaba.
Even you get the chance to visit a local person in Uttarakhand the chances are very high that you will be served aloo ke gutke with tea.
How to serve?
As an appetizer, this dish is generally served with some green chutney and tea. That’s the most common way of having it in the Pahadi style. Another very popular way of enjoying it is with pahadi raita.
For breakfast, it’s served with paratha, puri or roti (different types of Indian bread).
In the main course, you can serve it with roti or rice and dal.
More easy potato recipes
Who doesn’t love potatoes? I can have it daily without getting bored. If you also love it and looking for some easy potato recipes then don’t miss to check the following recipes:
If you try any of my recipes then please don’t miss to rate it in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links shared in my blog are affiliate links and I will get benefited if you buy products from them at no extra cost to you. However, I have personally used most of these products hence recommending them to you. You are free to buy them from anywhere also.
How to make Aloo ke gutke?
Aloo ke gutke
- 2.5 cups boiled potato cubes
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1-2 dried whole red chilies broken into 2-3 pieces each
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder adjust as per taste
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt as per taste
- 1.5 tbsp mustard oil
- Heat mustard oil in a pan. When smoke starts coming from the oil, switch off the gas and allow the oil to get cooler. If not using mustard oil then skip this step of heating the oil till smoking point.
- In a pan mix all the spice powders and salt with around 2 tablespoons of water and keep aside.
- Heat the oil again and add red chili pieces, saute for a few seconds and then add the cumin seeds.
- Once cumin seeds become fragrant, add grated ginger and garlic. Saute for about 1-2 minutes or till the raw smell of the garlic goes away.
- Next, add in the spice paste. Cook for about a minute, stirring continuously.
- Add the potato cubes, mix everything till the spices get evenly coated on every piece of potato and then switch off the gas.
- Add lemon juice and chopped coriander leaves. Mix and enjoy.