Aloo ke gutke is a delicious pan-fried potato recipe from the Himalayas. This vegan and gluten-free dish gets ready in 20 minutes and can be served in the main course as well as enjoyed as a starter.
My home town in India is in a beautiful Himalayan state -Uttarakhand. Though I never lived there for a long period, our annual school breaks were reserved to visit our grandparents in Uttarakhand. Those were the most enjoyable holidays of my life - even better than the holidays we plan to the most exotic places in the world now.
Most of the dishes in the Uttarakhand cuisine are very simple, made with basic fresh ingredients, and taste heavenly. So, I am sharing a simple and very popular recipe from Uttarakhand called Aloo ke gutke as the first recipe on my blog.
What is Aloo ke gutke?
It is a pan-fried potato recipe made in Indian style. If you ever travel to Uttarakhand you will find this dish in the menu card of every restaurant and dhaba.
Even if you get the chance to visit a local person in Uttarakhand the chances are very high that you will be served aloo ke gutke with tea.
How to serve?
As an appetizer, this dish is generally served with some green chutney and tea. That's the most common way of having it in the Pahadi style. Another very popular way of enjoying it is with pahadi raita.
For breakfast, it's served with paratha, puri, or roti (different types of Indian bread).
In the main course, you can serve it with roti or rice and dal.
More easy potato recipes
Who doesn't love potatoes? I can have it daily without getting bored. If you also love it and looking for different ways to eat potatoes then do check out the following recipes:
- Vrat wale aloo
- Russian dumpling
- Oven baked potatoes
- Moroccan potatoes
- Greek potato salad
- Aloo ka paratha
- Spanish potatoes
- Armenian potato salad
Step by step photo instructions
If you try any of my recipes, please rate ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ it on the recipe card and also leave your feedback in the comments section below. You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and subscribe to my youtube channel.
Aloo ke gutke
- 2.5 cups boiled potato cubes
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1-2 dried whole red chilies broken into 2-3 pieces each
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder adjust as per taste
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- Salt as per taste
- 1.5 tbsp mustard oil
- Heat mustard oil in a pan. When smoke starts coming from the oil, switch off the gas and, allow the oil to get cooler. If not using mustard oil then skip this step of heating oil till the smoking point.
- In a pan mix all the spice powder and salt with around 2 tablespoons of water and keep aside.
- Heat the oil again and add red chili pieces, saute for a few seconds and then add cumin seeds.
- Once cumin seeds become fragrant, add grated ginger and garlic. Saute for about 1-2 minutes or till the raw smell of the garlic goes away.
- Next, add in the spice paste. Cook for about a minute, stirring continuously.
- Add the potato cubes, mix everything till the spices get evenly coated on every piece of potato and then switch off the gas.
- Add lemon juice and chopped coriander leaves. Mix and enjoy.
- Any variety of potatoes can be used in the recipe.
- Don't overcook the potatoes otherwise, they will turn mushy.
- Though fresh cilantro tastes the best in this recipe, you can also use other fresh herbs like mint leaves.