Mango sticky rice originally known as Khao niao mamuang is a delicious Thai dessert made with sticky rice (also known as glutinous rice), coconut milk, and ripe mangoes.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Thai cuisine is one of my favorite cuisines and I cook a lot of Thai recipes at home and also love to eat out at Thai restaurants. However, the description of Mango sticky rice never went very well with me. Somehow, I could not imagine having mangoes with rice and never ordered it.
A few years back, while having dinner at a Thai restaurant, Amit suggested that we should try this Thai dessert at least once to know why people love it so much.
So, we ordered only one plate of Mango sticky rice and shared it as we were not sure how it would taste. Honestly, I didn’t like the initial few bites but started loving it by the time it got finished and we ordered another plate of this delicious Thai dessert. The fresh ripe mangoes make it a very refreshing dessert.
Today I am sharing this easy mango sticky rice recipe which you must try before the mango season gets over.
For this recipe, sticky rice is used which is also known as Glutinous rice. Despite its name, this rice doesn’t contain gluten so even if you are on a gluten-free diet, you can enjoy it.
Sticky rice is very easily available in Asian markets. However, if you couldn’t find it in the market, you can order it online here.
Sticky rice doesn’t need a lot of water to get cooked that’s why it’s generally steamed instead of boiling. I love sticky rice and its texture.
Though there are 3-4 different components of this recipe, each one is very simple to make and generally needs only mixing and boiling. And, the end result is a great dessert which is perfect for this hot weather.
If you try this recipe, please don’t miss to rate it in the comments section below.
More vegan Thai recipes
Step by step photo instructions
Thai Mango sticky rice
- 1 cup sticky rice also known as glutinous rice
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sugar
Salted coconut sauce
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon corn flour you can also use rice flour
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 ripe mango
- Wash the rice for 5-6 times or till the water gets clear. Soak the rice in water for at least 8 hours or overnight. After 8 hours discard the water in which rice was soaked.
- Put the soaked rice on a muslin/ thin cotton towel, cover it and place on a steamer. If you have a traditional bamboo steamer then no need to use the towel. However, since the holes in electric steamer are generally too big for rice grains we need to put the soaked rice in a thin cotton towel before placing it in the steamer. Leave some space near the edges of the steamer so that steam doesn't get blocked by the cloth. Steam the rice for at least 30 minutes or till it's cooked. Make sure to steam the sticky rice instead of boiling.
- While the rice is cooking, add coconut milk, sugar and salt in a pan and boil till sugar gets dissolved. Switch off the gas.
- In a bowl mix the steamed rice and coconut milk mixture made above. Just ensure to do it when both rice and coconut milk are still hot. At this stage you will feel that there is too much coconut milk and the mixture has become runny but the hot rice will soak it after some time. Cover the bowl with a tight lid and allow to rest for around 15-20 minutes.
- After 15-20 minutes, mix everything again so that the rice at the bottom comes up and the coconut milk get absorbed evenly. Cover and allow to rest for another 15-20 minutes.
- While the rice is soaking coconut milk, prepare the salted coconut sauce. For that mix salt and coconut milk in a pan and heat it. In a bowl mix the cornstarch and water. Add this cornstarch paste to the coconut milk, mix and allow it to boil for 2-3 minutes or till the mixture thickens.
- Peel and cut the mango in desired shape.
- To serve, place some sweet coconut rice on a plate, drizzle some salted coconut sauce on top and put a few mango pieces on the side.
- Enjoy your Thai Mango sticky rice.