Kachumber salad is a simple, and most commonly eaten salad in India. Made with a few basic vegetables like onion, tomato, cucumber, radish, and green chilies this delicious salad tastes great with every Indian meal.
For most of the Indians, an everyday salad means diced onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, radish, carrot, lemon, and chilies. And, there are no fancy names of salads.
Honestly speaking, though I ate Kachumber salad almost every day of my life, I never knew that it has a name too.
Many years back, majority of the Indian restaurants used to serve a complimentary salad (basic one) with food and if they didn’t, our only option was to order a green salad which was nothing but sliced cucumber with green chilies, and coriander leaves in lime, salt, and chaat masala dressing.
Then when the options of Indian salads started increasing in the menu card, we once ordered Kachumber salad just to discover that it’s nothing but the salad which we eat at home every day.
However, it doesn’t mean that this basic Indian salad doesn’t taste great. The blend of these simple ingredients creates a refreshing treat.
This humble vegetarian recipe – Kachumber Salad is still my favorite salad to serve with any Indian meal.
My favorite way of having it though is with chole- bhature. Chole- bhature, dahi vada and Kachumber salad was the fixed menu for every holi party in BRO Officers mess.
More easy salad recipes from around the world:
Did you also grow up eating something quite often without knowing that it has a fancy name too? If yes, then please don’t miss to share it with me.
And, if you try any of my recipes then please don’t miss to rate it in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links shared in my blog are affiliate links and I will get benefited if you buy products from them at no extra cost to you. However, I have personally used most of these products hence recommending them to you. You are free to buy them from anywhere also.
How to make Kachumber Salad?
- 1 red onion
- 1 tomato
- 1 cucumber
- 3-4 cherry radish you can also use daikon radish
- 1-2 green chilies
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon you can also use lime juice
- A few sprigs of coriander
- Himalayan black salt as per taste you can use any type of salt but Himalayan black salt is recommended for this salad.
- 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper powder
- Finely chop the coriander leaves and green chilies. Dice all the other vegetables in equal bite-sized pieces.
- In a bowl, mix lemon juice with salt and pepper.
- Put the chopped vegetables in a large bowl, add the dressing. Toss well and serve.