Roasted zucchini and potato soup- a light vegan soup made with a handful of basic ingredients. If you like dishes with simple and comforting flavors-this creamy zucchini soup recipe is a must try.
As the weather has started becoming pleasant in my city, I am bringing out my favorite soup recipes and sharing them on my blog so that my readers can also enjoy them with their families.
Today, I am sharing the recipe for roasted zucchini and potato soup.
It's a comforting, creamy plant-based soup that needs only a handful of basic ingredients and tastes delicious.
What goes in roasted zucchini and potato soup?
To make this zucchini potato soup, you will need the ingredients shown below:
- Zucchini: It's also known as courgette in some countries. Use a fresh medium-sized zucchini. There is no need to peel it.
- Potatoes: Use any starchy variety of potatoes. They help in making this zucchini soup creamy without using the cream.
- Herbs: I have used dried rosemary and basil. You can use fresh herbs too. Feel free to use herbs of your choice.
How to make (step-by-step process)?
Step 1: Peel and chop the potatoes, slice the onion, and peel the garlic cloves. Put them in a large bowl. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt, pepper, dried basil, and rosemary. Toss.
Step 2: Spread on a baking tray lined with a baking sheet.
Step 3: Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C (400°F) for around 30 minutes or until the potatoes are nicely cooked and get golden brown edges.
Step 4: Chop zucchini and put in a bowl. Add salt.
Step 5: Add around ½ a tablespoon of olive oil and salt. Toss.
Step 6: Spread the zucchini cubes on a baking tray lined with a baking sheet.
Step 7: Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C (400°F) for around 25 minutes or until their edges turn brown.
Step 8: Boil vegetable stock in a pot.
Steps 9 and 10: Add roasted potatoes, onion, zucchini, garlic pulp, and red chili flakes.
Step 11: Mix everything. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
Step 12: Blend until smooth and creamy.
Your simple roasted zucchini and potato soup is ready to be enjoyed!
How to serve?
Serve this zucchini soup hot or warm.
You can serve it with some toasted bread, a crunchy salad, or roasted vegetables like these delicious baked potato wedges on the side.
How to store?
To store, transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate. It will be fine for 3-4 days.
Can you freeze Zucchini potato soup?
Yes, this zucchini soup freezes well. To freeze, transfer to freezer-safe batch-size containers. The frozen soup will be fine for 3 months.
To reheat, thaw the frozen soup. Add it to a cooking pot and add more vegetable stock to adjust the consistency. Check and adjust the seasoning. Let the soup boil for a few minutes and then enjoy.
Recipe tips and tricks
- This zucchini soup can be made without potatoes too. For creaminess, you may add some coconut milk. Non-vegans may use cream too.
- If you have a large baking tray, instead of baking potatoes and zucchini separately half-bake potatoes, onion, and garlic then add zucchini cubes to the same tray and bake further.
- If you don't have an oven, saute potatoes, onion, garlic, and zucchini in a pan and then use them in the recipe.
- You can replace potatoes with sweet potatoes to make this soup.
- Other vegetables like spinach or broccoli can also be added to this zucchini potato soup. If using broccoli, roast it too with other vegetables.
- Feel free to add other seasonings of your choice.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, they are different names for the same vegetable.
No, you don't need to do that. Just make sure to use a fresh zucchini with tender skin and wash it nicely.
If you try any of my recipes, please rate ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ it on the recipe card and also leave your feedback in the comments section below. You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and subscribe to my youtube channel.
Roasted Zucchini and potato soup
- Cooking pot
- 1 medium-sized zucchini around 4 cups of chopped zucchini
- 2 small potatoes around 1 cup peeled potato cubes
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion roughly sliced
- 3-4 large garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon red chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon crushed black pepper adjust to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 cups vegetable stock or as required to get the desired consistency
- Put the potato cubes, sliced onion, and garlic cloves in a large bowl. Add around 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt, pepper, dried basil, and rosemary. Toss.
- Line a baking tray with a baking sheet. Evenly spread the potatoes, onion, and garlic on it. Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C (400°F) for around 30 minutes or until the potatoes are nicely cooked and get golden brown edges.
- Put zucchini cubes in a bowl. Add around ½ a tablespoon of olive oil and salt. Toss. Bake in a preheated oven at 200°C (400°F) for around 25 minutes or until their edges turn brown.
- Boil vegetable stock in a pot. Add roasted potatoes, onion, zucchini, garlic pulp, and red chili flakes. Mix everything and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Blend with a hand blender until smooth and creamy. Check and adjust the seasoning.
- Pour into serving bowls. Add some olive oil, crushed pepper, and chili flakes on top. Enjoy!
- You may make this soup without potatoes too.
- I have baked potatoes and zucchini separately as my baking tray was not big enough to bake them all together. You can half bake potatoes, onion, and garlic then add zucchini to the same tray and bake further.
- Instead of baking, you can also make this soup by sauteeing potatoes, onion, garlic, and zucchini in a pan.
- Feel free to add other seasonings of your choice.
- More, recipe tips and tricks are given within the post above. Please follow them to make this recipe.