Curd rice or yogurt rice is a simple, refreshing vegetarian dish from South India. Made by mixing cooked rice with curd and then tempering it with Indian spices and vegetables, it's a perfect summer dish.
Today the recipe which I am sharing-Curd rice is my sister's favorite thing to eat. She can have it every single day. So whenever I make it, I remember her. Even while writing this post I am thinking of her 🙂 .
What is Curd Rice?
Curd rice is a very tasty vegetarian dish from India. It's a specialty of South India.
The dish is made by mixing slightly overcooked rice with yogurt. It's then tempered with spices and curry leaves. Sometimes vegetables like carrot and cucumber are also added to it but that's not mandatory.
It's a real comfort food, especially during summers.
What to serve with it?
This simple rice dish doesn't need a lot of things on the side. You can enjoy it with some Indian pickle or roasted popadum on the side.
Type of rice to be used
Always use short-grain rice variety to make this dish. The rice has to be overcooked and slightly mashed before mixing with yogurt.
To cook rice in a pot use 1:3.5 rice to water ratio. It will give overcooked, mushy rice. If you are using in a pressure cooker or instant pot almost double the amount of water you usually add to cook the rice.
- Let the rice reach room temperature before adding yogurt to it.
- The amount of yogurt will vary depending upon its consistency. It should be enough to form a creamy consistency when mixed with rice.
- If the yogurt is sour add some milk to balance the flavors.
More easy South Indian recipes
Looking for some easy South Indian recipes to try at home? Don't miss to check the following links:
More easy rice recipes from around the world
If you liked this recipe then you might also like the following easy recipes from around the world:
If you try any of my recipes then please don’t miss to rate it in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links shared in my blog are affiliate links and I will get benefited if you buy products from them at no extra cost to you. However, I have personally used most of these products hence recommending them to you. You are free to buy them from anywhere also.
How to make Curd Rice?
- 1 cup uncooked short-grain rice
- 3.5 cups water
- 2 cups thick curd
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 cup peeled and finely chopped cucumber optional but recommended
- 2 finely chopped green chilies adjust as per taste
- 1/2 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 1 dried whole red chili
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon skinned and split black gram dhuli urad ki dal
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- Salt as per taste
Ingredients for garnishing (optional)
- pomegranate seeds
- chopped coriander leaves
- Wash the rice and put it in a pan with water. Cook until no more water is left in the pan. The rice should be overcooked and mushy in this recipe. Slightly mash the rice with the back of the ladle or a masher. Keep it aside to reach room temperature.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan. Break the dried red chili into 3-4 pieces and add to the pan.
- Sauté for a few seconds and then add mustard seeds and lentil. Once the lentil starts turning light brown add curry leaves, ginger, green chilies, and asafoetida. Saute for a few seconds.
- Next, add carrot. Cook for about a minute and then switch off the gas.
- Put the cooked rice in a large bowl.
- Beat curd in a bowl. If it's too thick add some water or milk to it. Pour this curd in the rice bowl. Add cucumber, coriander leaves, carrot mixture, and salt. Mix well.
- Serve with any Indian pickle, roasted popadum, or any stir-fried Indian vegetable dish.
- The amount of water may vary depending on the type of rice you are using. Adjust to get mushy, overcooked rice.
- Always use short-grain rice for this recipe.
- The amount of yogurt will also depend upon the type of yogurt you are using. Adjust it to get a nice, creamy consistency.
- Don't add yogurt to hot rice. Let the rice reach temperature before mixing it with yogurt.
- You can also use leftover rice for this dish.