This easy Mexican rice recipe has all the delicious ingredients like beans, rice, corn, bell peppers, lots of fresh cilantro, and lime juice. Refreshing and flavorful this vegan black bean and rice recipe is a must-try one-pot meal.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases without any extra cost to you.
There is something very comforting about the rice and bean combination. That’s why a lot of countries have their own version of a rice and bean dish. Like India’s Rajma chawal & Chole chawal, Jamaican Rice and Peas, Persian Lubia Polo, or today’s recipe-Mexican black bean and rice.
Mexican food is loved by everyone in my family and this recipe is one of my favorites. Not only because it’s delicious but also because it’s very easy to make, doesn’t need any fancy ingredient and is a one-pot meal.
What type of beans to use
It’s a black bean and rice recipe so of course, the black bean has to be used. However, if you don’t have black beans, a similar recipe can be created by using other beans like red beans or kidney beans.
You can also use a mixture of different beans to make Mexican bean rice.
If you follow my blog then you must be knowing by now that I prefer soaking dried beans and then cooking them in a pressure cooker. However, this Mexican rice and beans recipe can also be made using canned beans. You can choose whatever you prefer.
Type of rice to use
Use long or medium-sized grain to make this Vegan Mexican rice recipe. Using short grains will make this dish mushy which we don’t want.
Can it be made without cilantro
Some of my readers hate cilantro and don’t like me using it in my recipes. Personally, I love cilantro and believe that it adds freshness and flavor to every dish. I love almost everything that has cilantro in it. The presence of cilantro is one of the reasons why I love Indian, Mexican, and Thai food.
However, I also understand those who hate cilantro as now we know that it’s a genetic thing which makes it smell or taste soapy for the people who hate it. So, if you also hate cilantro either skip it or use another herb like parsley in the dish.
What to serve with it
I think that Mexican black bean and rice is so filling and flavorful that it becomes a complete meal in itself. You really don’t need anything else with it.
However, if you want- just serve some salsa or avocado salad on the side. You can also serve it with a refreshing yogurt dip or a fresh crunchy salad.
Can it be made with leftover rice
Yes, this Mexican rice dish can be made with leftover rice too. Just follow the step till sautéing the vegetables and beans and then add leftover rice and cilantro. Stir fry for a few minutes and your Mexican fried rice is ready.
More, easy vegan and vegetarian Mexican recipes
If you also love the freshness of Mexican food and looking for ideas, don’t miss to check the following recipes on my blog:
- Vegetable Quesadilla
- Black bean and cilantro lime rice burrito
- Burritos with bean rice and mushrooms
- Vegan Black Bean Soup
More easy vegan one-pot rice meal ideas
I love one-pot meals. They make life in the kitchen so easy. If you are looking for vegan one-pot meal recipe ideas then the following recipes may be useful for you:
If you try any of my recipes then please don’t miss to rate it in the comments section below.
Step by step photo instructions
Easy Mexican Rice Recipe
- 2 cups uncooked rice long or medium-sized grains
- 1.5 cups boiled/ canned black beans
- 1/2 cup sweet corn kernels
- 1 medium-sized onion finely chopped
- 1 medium-sized red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped jalapeno adjust as per taste
- 1/4 cup cilantro roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 bouillon cube
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- Juice of 1 lime adjust as per taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil/ any cooking oil of your choice
- 4 cups water
- Salt as per taste
- Heat oil in a pot and add chopped onion to it. Saute till it becomes translucent.
- Next, add the chopped bell pepper and jalapeno. Saute for a few minutes or till the bell pepper is cooked but still crunchy.
- Add garlic powder, tomato paste, salt, and bouillon cube. Mix and saute for about a minute before adding the beans. Allow the beans to cook without water for about 2 minutes and then add rice and chopped cilantro. Mix and stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Finally add the water, mix and cover the pot. Cook till rice is done.
- Squeeze fresh lime juice and serve hot.
- Both canned and home-cooked beans can be used in this recipe.
- Instead of using just black beans, you can also use a combination of different beans.
- It's best to use long or medium-sized rice grains in Mexican bean rice