Greek spinach rice also called Spanakorizo is a simple rice dish with the goodness of spinach, dill, fresh lemon juice, and olive oil. It tastes amazing. Vegans can also enjoy this recipe simply by skipping the Feta cheese garnish.
I know it’s strange but for my sister and me, spinach was one of the favorite things to eat even as toddlers. We loved every spinach dish. Simple stir-fried spinach with steamed rice was something we considered a treat. And, I still love that simple combination.
So, when I came across this Greek Spinach rice – Spanakorizo recipe a while ago, I had to try it. No surprise, it’s my favorite Greek recipe now. I already loved the spinach rice combination but adding Feta cheese, dill, extra virgin olive oil, and lemon juice takes it to another level.
Even if you have never tried spinach and rice combination, I would highly recommend trying this simple recipe.
Different types of Greek Spinach rice
Though every family has a slightly different version of making any recipe, there are mainly two main types of Greek Spinach rice – with tomato and without tomato.
I prefer the one with tomatoes. If you want to make it without tomato, just skip adding the tomato paste, the remaining process will be the same.
There may also be variation in the consistency of the dish. Some people like it soupy, some creamy and some completely dry. I love the creamy consistency.
Just adjust the quantity of broth/ water to get the required consistency.
What type of rice to use?
Use medium-sized rice grain for this recipe. If you use short grains the rice will turn mushy and if you use long-grain, you won’t get the required creaminess.
So, choose the type of rice carefully.
How to serve?
Greek spinach rice can be served both as a main course or a side dish. If serving as a main course, just add some Feta cheese, lemon juice, and extra virgin olive oil on top and you are good to go.
Otherwise, just serve it with some Greek roasted vegetables/ Greek stuffed eggplants/ Greek yogurt dip or any other dish of your choice.
How to make Vegan Greek Spinach rice?
Since the main recipe uses only plant-based ingredients and Feta cheese is added only to garnish it, if you are a vegan just skip adding Feta cheese on top. It will still taste awesome.
More Greek Meatless recipe
- Greek potato salad (vegan)
- Greek white bean soup-Fasolada (vegan)
- Greek chickpea soup –Revithosoupa (vegan)
- Greek watermelon salad (vegetarian)
- Greek salad (vegetarian)
- Greek yogurt dip (vegetarian)
Easy rice recipes
I love rice dishes and keep on collecting easy rice recipes from around the world. Most of them are one-pot recipes and perfect to be cooked on busy days. If you also like such recipes then don’t miss to check the following links:
If you try any of my recipes then please don’t miss to share your feedback and rate the recipe in the comments section below.
How to make Greek Spinach rice-Spanakorizo?
Greek Spinach rice-Spanakorizo
- 2 cups uncooked rice medium-sized grain
- 4 cups chopped spinach
- 4 tbsp chives chopped
- 4 tbsp dill chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste optional
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp butter/ vegan butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups vegetable broth/ water the quantity may vary depending upon the type of rice you are using so adjust accordingly.
- Salt as per taste
- Feta cheese optional
- Heat olive oil in a pot and add chopped garlic to it. Saute for a few seconds.
- Add onions and cook until it becomes translucent.
- Next, add chives and dill, saute for a few seconds and then add chopped spinach, cook until wilted.
- Add tomato paste, mix and cook for a few more seconds before adding rice, salt and water/ broth.
- Mix everything and cook until the rice is done. Keep on stirring in between to make sure that the rice is not sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- When the rice is almost done, add butter (if using).
- Once the rice is cooked, switch off the gas. Cover the pot for around 10 minutes and allow every flavor to get absorbed in the rice grains.
- To serve, squeeze fresh lemon juice, feta cheese (optional) and enjoy!
- Use medium-sized rice grains to make this Greek rice. Grains that are too short will make it mushy and long grains won't give the required creaminess.
- Vegans may skip feta cheese and butter. A plant-based butter can be used too.