A simple, comforting, Greek vegetarian dish, this creamy spinach rice is known as Spanakorizo. With the goodness of spinach, dill, fresh lemon juice and olive oil, it’s a healthy way of eating delicious. Vegans can also enjoy this recipe simply by skipping the Feta cheese garnish.
Unlike most of the children, both my sister and I loved spinach even as kids. We loved it so much that whenever our mother prepared a spinach recipe, we didn’t need anything else to eat with it.
Simple stir-fried spinach with steamed rice was something we considered a treat. And, I still love that simple combination.
So, when I came across this Greek Spinach rice – Spanakorizo recipe a while ago, I had to try it. No surprise, it’s my favorite Greek recipe now. I already loved the spinach rice combination but adding Feta cheese, dill, extra virgin olive oil, and lemon juice takes it to another level.
Even if you have never tried spinach and rice combination, I would highly recommend trying this simple recipe.
Amit was not crazy about spinach and rice combination like me but, he also loved Spanakorizo.
Different types of Greek Spinach rice
Though every family has a slightly different version of making any recipe, there are mainly two main types of Greek Spinach rice – with tomato and without tomato.
I prefer the one with tomato. If you want to make it without tomato, just skip adding the tomato paste, the remaining process will be the same.
There may also be variation in the consistency of the dish. Some people like it soupy, some creamy and some completely dry. I love the creamy consistency.
Just adjust the quantity of broth/ water to get the required consistency.
What type of rice is used to make Greek Spinach rice?
Use medium-sized rice grain for this recipe. If you use short grains the rice will turn mushy and if you use long-grain, you won’t get the required creaminess.
So, choose the type of rice carefully.
How to serve Greek Spinach rice?
Greek spinach rice can be served both as a main course or a side dish. If serving as a main course, just add some Feta cheese, lemon juice, and extra virgin olive oil on top and you are good to go.
Otherwise, just serve it with some Greek roasted vegetables/ Greek stuffed eggplants/ Greek yogurt dip or any other dish of your choice.
How to make Vegan Greek Spinach rice?
Since the main recipe uses only plant-based ingredients and Feta cheese is added only to garnish it, if you are a vegan just skip adding Feta cheese on top. It will still taste awesome.
More Greek Meatless recipe:
- Greek potato salad (vegan)
- Greek white bean soup-Fasolada (vegan)
- Greek chickpea soup –Revithosoupa (vegan)
- Greek watermelon salad (vegetarian)
- Greek salad (vegetarian)
- Greek yogurt dip (vegetarian)
If you try any of my recipes then please don’t miss to share your feedback and rate the recipe in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links shared in my blog are affiliate links and I will get benefited if you buy products from them at no extra cost to you. However, I have personally used most of these products hence recommending them to you. You are free to buy them from anywhere also.
How to make Greek Spinach rice-Spanakorizo?
Greek Spinach rice-Spanakorizo
- 2 cups uncooked rice medium-sized grain
- 4 cups chopped spinach
- 4 tbsp chives chopped
- 4 tbsp dill chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste optional
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp butter/ vegan butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups vegetable broth/ water the quantity may vary depending upon the type of rice you are using so adjust accordingly.
- Salt as per taste
- Feta cheese optional
- Heat olive oil in a pot and add chopped garlic to it. Saute for a few seconds till it becomes fragrant.
- Add onions and cook it becomes translucent.
- Next, add chives and dill, saute for a few seconds and then add chopped spinach, cook till wilted.
- Add tomato paste, mix and cook for a few more seconds before adding rice, salt and water/ broth.
- Mix everything and cook till rice is done. Keep on stirring in between to check it's not sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- When the rice is almost done, add butter (if using).
- Once done switch off the gas, cover the pot and allow every flavor to get absorbed in the rice grains.
- To serve, squeeze fresh lemon juice, feta cheese (optional) and enjoy!