This Mushroom rice recipe is a simple & tasty one-pot rice recipe that gets ready in just 35 minutes. It's full of mushroom flavor and is vegan and gluten-free. You can enjoy mushroom rice as a meal by itself or with a stir-fried dish of your choice.
Mushroom is one of my favorite things to eat and it was my favorite even when I was a non-vegetarian.
That's the reason you will find a lot of mushroom recipes on my blog. If you want to try them, I have shared a list of my mushroom recipes further in this post.
Today I am sharing a simple mushroom rice recipe which is made with some very basic ingredients but the final dish is full of flavors.
It's vegan and gluten-free.
What goes in mushroom rice?
To make this simple rice with mushrooms recipe, you will need the ingredients shown below:
- Mushrooms: I have used white button mushrooms to make mushroom rice but you can use whichever variety you like. Even a combination of different mushrooms can be used. It will give the dish an interesting texture and make it more flavorful. You can also use canned mushrooms. However, avoid using frozen ones in this recipe as they will lose their shape in this dish.
- Rice: I have used long-grain basmati rice. You can use any rice variety with long or medium-sized grains. Jasmine rice also goes well in this dish. Don't use a very starchy variety like sticky rice.
- Vegetable bouillon cubes: Instead of using vegetable bouillon cubes and water, you can also use vegetable stock or mushroom stock to make this dish.
How to make (step-by-step instructions)?
Step 1: Heat oil in a cooking pot. Add chopped onion and cook until it turns translucent.
Step 2: Add minced garlic and the chopped white part of spring onion. Saute for a few seconds.
Step 3: Add sliced mushrooms.
Step 4: Stir fry on a high flame until the moisture released by the mushrooms dries up.
Step 5: Add crumbled vegetable bouillon cubes, chili flakes, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Saute for about a minute.
Step 6: Add rinsed rice and saute for a minute.
Step 7: Add water and mix.
Step 8: Cook covered for 13-15 minutes or until the rice is cooked.
Step 9: Once done, switch off the stove. Remove the lid only after 5 minutes of switching off the stove.
Step 10: Add chopped spring onion greens.
Steps 11 and 12: Fluff rice with a fork and mix spring onion greens with mushroom rice.
Your easy mushroom rice is ready to be enjoyed!
How to serve mushroom rice?
Mushroom rice can be served with any gravy or stir-fried dish of choice. Mostly, I prefer enjoying the simple flavors of rice and mushrooms without any other dish on the side.
But sometimes I also pair it up with a side dish like:
- Vegetables in hot garlic sauce
- Orange tofu
- Kung pao cauliflower
- Quick chili garlic tofu
- Broccoli in garlic sauce
- Asian style garlic eggplant
Storing, freezing, and reheating tips
To store, refrigerate it in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
You can also freeze mushroom rice in freezer-safe containers for 3 months.
To reheat, transfer to a pan sprinkle some water, cover the pot, and reheat on the stovetop until nicely heated. Keep stirring in between after every 3-4 minutes.
You can also reheat it in a microwave. For that transfer the rice to a microwave-safe container. Sprinkle some water and microwave for a few minutes. Keep taking out the container after every 1 minute, stir, and put it back again until evenly heated.
Recipe tips, tricks, and variation suggestions
- Feel free to use mushrooms of your choice to make mushroom rice. You can also combine different varieties of mushrooms. They will not only make this dish more flavorful but will also give it an interesting texture.
- Cut mushrooms into big chunks as they shrink in size after getting cooked.
- For extra mushroom flavor, use mushroom stock to cook rice.
- You can also add some chopped vegetables like green peas, beans, or carrots to this dish.
- The ratio of rice and water will vary depending on the type of rice you are using.
Frequently asked questions
Frozen mushrooms are too delicate for this dish. We want bite-size firm mushroom pieces in it and frozen mushrooms won't give that result. However, if you are not bothered by the size and shape of mushrooms, you can use frozen mushrooms too.
Yes, you can use brown rice too but the cooking time and rice to water ratio will change in that case.
More easy vegan or vegetarian rice recipes
I love rice and try to eat it in at least one meal every day. If you are also a rice lover like me then don't miss to check out some easy rice recipes below:
- Chickpea pulao
- Tofu fried rice
- Mexican fried rice
- Lemon rice
- Beetroot rice
- Paneer fried rice
- Tomato rice
- Vegetable rice
- Peanut butter rice with vegetables
More easy mushroom recipes
- Mushroom potato soup
- Mushroom noodles
- Mushroom curry with coconut milk
- Enoki mushroom salad
- Mushroom tom yum soup
- Mushroom barley soup
- Mushroom masala
- Matar mushroom
- Mushroom enchiladas
- Kerala style pepper mushrooms
If you try any of my recipes, please rate ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ it on the recipe card and also leave your feedback in the comments section below. You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and subscribe to my youtube channel.
- Cooking pot
- 1 cup uncooked rice around 165 grams
- 3.5 cups button mushrooms sliced, around 350 grams
- 1 medium-sized red onion finely chopped
- 4-5 cloves garlic minced
- 4-5 stalks spring onion chopped, keep the white and green parts separated
- 2 cubes vegetable bouillon
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon red chili flakes
- ¼ teaspoon crushed black peppercorns adjust to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2.25 cups water or as required to cook the rice
- Heat oil in a pan. Add onion and saute until it turns translucent.
- Add minced garlic and the white part of spring onion. Saute for a few seconds.
- Add sliced mushrooms and stir fry on a high flame until the moisture released by mushrooms dries up.
- Next, add crumbled vegetable bouillon cubes, chili flakes, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Saute for about a minute.
- Add rinsed rice, mix, and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add water and mix everything. Cover the pot and cook for around 13-15 minutes or until the rice gets cooked.
- Once done, switch off the stove. Don't remove the lid for 5 minutes. After that, remove the lid and fluff the rice using a fork. Add chopped spring onion greens and mix.
- The rice and water ratio may vary depending on the type of rice you are using. Here I have used long-grain basmati rice.
- Instead of using vegetable bouillon cubes and water, you can also use vegetable or mushroom stock.
- Cut mushrooms into large pieces as they will shrink in size after getting cooked.
- More recipe tips and tricks are shared in the post above, please follow them to make this recipe.