Vegan chocolate cherry overnight oats- a make-ahead breakfast that tastes like dessert. If the idea of eating basic oats every morning bores you and you want to make it taste better, try this recipe. It just needs 5 minutes of effort.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases without any extra cost to you.
If you are like me i.e. someone who doesn't like spending precious morning hours in the kitchen but can also never imagine skipping breakfast then this vegan chocolate cherry overnight oats recipe is just for you.
This is a make-ahead breakfast recipe that saves your morning hours for more productive tasks like morning walk, yoga, gardening, reading, etc.
These overnight oats have the classic combination of chocolate and cherries which makes it taste like a dessert.
To make this vegan chocolate overnight oats, the following ingredients are required:
- Oats: Use old fashioned rolled oats to make this dish.
- Cherries: Use a sweet variety of cherries not the tart one.
- Milk: I have used coconut milk. You can use any variety of plant based milk to make it.
- Cocoa powder
- Dairy free chocolate syrup
- Dairy free chocolate chips
- Agave/ maple syrup/ any other sweetner of choice: Adding sweetener is optional as the chocolate syrup and cherries are already sweet.
- Chia seeds: Chia seeds give a nice thick and creamy texture to the oatmeal.
How to make?
It's one of the easiest breakfast recipes that you will ever find. You just need to put all the ingredients in a bowl or jar and mix. Put the jar in the fridge overnight. Next morning, just mix everything again and garnish with more fresh cherries, chocolate chips, and chocolate syrup. Enjoy straight out of the jar.
And, if you liked these overnight oats with cherries and want to try another delicious idea then don't miss checking my mango overnight oats recipe.
How to enjoy it hot?
These overnight oats can be enjoyed hot as well as cold. If you want to eat cold, you can eat directly after taking it out of the fridge.
However, if you prefer hot oatmeal, heat the oats for a few minutes in the microwave. Garnish after heating.
Step by step photo instructions
Recipe tips and tricks
- Coconut milk is thicker than other plant based milks so if you have replaced coconut milk with any other milk, slightly decrease the quantity of milk.
- Chocolate syrup is generally very sweet and cherries are sweet too. Hence, add sweetener only if needed.
- For extra crunch, you can also add chopped nuts and seeds. They will also make it a healthier dish.
- A similar dish can be made with other berries and fruits too liks strawberry, banana, blueberry, etc.
- To make this recipe, use sweet cherries not the tart ones.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, cocoa powder is the unaltered solids of cocoa beans hence it's suitable to be consumed by vegans
No, natural cocoa powder is just roasted and ground cacao beans whereas chocolate powder is made by adding other ingredients to cocoa powder like sugar and creamer.
Overnight oats remain fine in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Though you get the perfect texture if the oats are soaked overnight i.e. at least for 7-8 hours, if you are in a hurry you can consume it after 4 hours.
More make ahead vegan breakfast recipes
If your mornings are also crazy busy and you are looking for some easy make-ahead breakfast recipes then don't miss to check the following links:
- Savory muffins with tomatoes and corn
- Mango overnight oats
- Healthy pumpkin oatmeal cookies
- Vegan oatmeal cookies
If you try any of my recipes, please rate ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ it on the recipe card and also leave your feedback in the comments section below. You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and subscribe to my youtube channel.
Chocolate cherry overnight oats
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¾ cup coconut milk or any milk of your choice
- ¼ cup cherries pitted and chopped
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon agave/ maple syrup chocolate syrup is also very sweet so you can skip adding more sweetener
- 1.5 tablespoons chocolate syrup
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
Ingredients for garnishing
- ¼ cup cherries
- 1 tablespoon chocolate chips or grated chocolate
- ½ teaspoon chocolate syrup
- Put the oats, milk, chopped cherries, cocoa powder, chocolate syrup, vanilla extract, sweetener, and chia seeds in a jar. Mix everything. Put on the lid.
- Keep the jar in the fridge overnight or for atleast 4 hours.
- Take the jar out from the fridge. Mix everything once again. Garnish with cherries, chocolate syrup, and chocolate chips. Enjoy!
- Adding sweetener is optional as the chocolate syrup is also very sweet.
- You can also use chocolate shavings instead of chocolate chips.
- Use a sweet variety of cherries, not the tart one.
- More recipe tips and tricks are given in the post above, please follow them to make this recipe.
Leave a Reply