Vegan Greek Chickpea soup, known as Revithiosoupa is a hearty, comforting soup with the simplest yet most delicious flavors. A bowl of this soup is all you need to warm up your soul on a cold night
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Being an Indian, I naturally am inclined to hot and spicy food. I love the cuisines in which a lot of chilies are used like Korean, Mexican, and Malaysian.
Even for an average Indian, my tolerance for heat in food is quite high. I rarely find any food marked as extra spicy on the menu card to be spicy enough for me.
Until I started my food voyage, I never enjoyed a savory dish without extra chilies in it.
However, now that I have started exploring more cuisines, I have become more adaptable to different flavors and learned to enjoy the simplest and mildest dishes.
Strangely, despite having almost no trace of heat in them, some of the Iranian dishes like Fesenjan and Greek dishes like Greek Watermelon Salad, Greek Yogurt dip are now on my list of favorite dishes.
Though I still love hot and spicy food, I equally enjoy milder flavors.
Today’s recipe- Greek Chickpea soup, known as Revithiosoupa is one such recipe which is one of the most comforting recipes I have ever tasted, created by using the simplest of ingredients.
Note: Never use canned chickpeas to make this recipe, just like Indians, Greeks also soak dry chickpeas and then cook them to make their recipes. Though time-consuming, the level of flavors in dishes prepared using dry chickpeas can never be reached if you use canned ones.
Just soak your bread in this creamy chickpea soup with olive oil and you will be in heaven. A real comfort food.
More Vegan Chickpea recipes
- Vegan Chickpea stuffed butternut squash (USA)
- Chickpea pulao (India)
- Beetroot Hummus (Middle East)
- Vegan Arabic Sandwich (Middle East)
- Koshari (National dish of Egypt)
- Balela (Middle East)
- Vegan Chickpea Curry (India)
- Chickpea spinach curry (India)
- Chickpea salad (India)
What type of food do you prefer – Hot and spicy or something mild? Did traveling change your food choices too? If yes, please share your experience with me. I love to hear from my readers.
And, if you try any of my recipes then please don’t miss to rate it in the comments section below.
Step by step photo instructions
Vegan Greek Chickpea Soup - Revithiosoupa
- 1.5 cups dried chickpeas
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 4-5 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2` tbsp chili flakes optional
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon adjust the quantity as per your taste
- Salt as per taste
- Wash and soak dry chickpeas in water for at least 7 hours or overnight.
- Put the soaked chickpeas and water in a pressure cooker. The level of water shall be slightly above the chickpeas. Pressure cook till three whistles on medium flame. We want to partially cook the chickpeas.
- Heat around a tablespoon of olive oil in a pot and add minced garlic to it. Saute for a few seconds and then add the chopped onion. Cook till it becomes translucent.
- Add the boiled chickpeas, along with the water in which it was cooked, salt, oregano, chili flakes, and olive oil. Mix well, cover the pot and allow to cook on low flame for another 20-30 minutes.
- To serve, take out the soup in a bowl, drizzle some olive oil, lemon juice, and chopped parsley. Dip your toasted bread in this creamy vegan chickpea soup from Greece and enjoy.