Greek watermelon feta salad is a refreshing, vegetarian summer salad that has a unique combination of sweet crunchy watermelon with creamy, savory feta cheese, and refreshing mint leaves. A perfect side dish for BBQs.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases without any extra cost to you.
Sometimes, you come across recipes with a weird combination of ingredients that you cannot imagine eating together but you end up enjoying it.
Greek watermelon salad with feta is one such recipe for me. Before eating this salad a couple of years ago, I could never have imagined eating watermelon with onion and feta.
But, the combination of sweet and crunchy watermelon with savory, creamy feta cheese, sharp onion, and refreshing mint leaves is so good that now it's become one of my favorite summer salads.
What goes in Greek watermelon salad with feta?
To make Greek style Watermelon salad, the following ingredients are needed:
- Watermelon: Pick a sweet and juicy variety. If you want to learn how to do that you may check my watermelon lemonade post where I have shared the tips to choose the sweetest watermelon every time.
- Cucumber: Preferably Persian or English cucumber. If you can't find these two varieties use whichever cucumber is available to you but peel its skin and remove the seeds before adding to the salad.
- Onion: Use any variety of your choice. I have used red onion.
- Fresh mint leaves: You can also use fresh basil leaves or dill.
- Lemon juice: For extra freshness add lemon zest too.
- Crumbled feta cheese
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Ground black pepper
How to make?
Making Greek watermelon salad is very easy. Just follow the steps below:
- Cut equal size pieces of watermelon and cucumber. Remove the watermelon seeds. If you are using Persian or English cucumber no need to peel it but if using a variety with thick skin, peel the cucumbers before adding to the salad.
- Thinly slice the onion and roughly chop the mint leaves.
- In a bowl mix lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Mix to make a dressing.
- Put the watermelon, cucumber, onion, and mint leaves in a large bowl. Pour the dressing on top. Toss well.
- Finally, add crumbled feta and enjoy.
Step by step photo instructions
Can this salad be made in advance?
I won't recommend making this watermelon feta salad in advance because the watermelon will start releasing a lot of water after some time and then it won't taste very fresh and crunchy.
You can keep everything chopped and ready. Prepare the dressing too but combine them only when you plan to serve.
Always serve this salad chilled. The best way is to use chilled watermelon and cucumber to make this salad. Otherwise, you will have to wait for a few hours to chill the salad in the fridge after making and it tastes the best when freshly made.
You can serve it as a side dish with any summer meal. It's a perfect BBQ side dish.
Recipe tips and tricks
- Use chilled watermelon and cucumber to make this watermelon feta salad.
- Don't make it in advance otherwise, the watermelon will leave a lot of water and won't taste fresh.
- Add crumbled feta on top of the salad instead of tossing it with the other ingredients otherwise, the whole salad will become very creamy and watery.
- Use a very sweet watermelon in the salad to get the best result. However, if your watermelon is not sweet enough add some honey or any other sweetener in the dressing.
- Add the salt carefully, as the feta is also sweet.
More easy feta salad recipes
You can make many delicious salads using feta. If you like feta cheese, don't miss to check the following feta salad recipes:
- Beet salad with feta
- Mediterranean white bean salad
- Greek black-eyed pea salad
- Egyptian farro salad
- Classic Greek salad
- Pomegranate feta salad
More vegan/ vegetarian Greek recipes
If you also love the refreshing flavors of Greek cuisine and want to try more vegan and vegetarian Greek recipes then don't miss to check the following links:
- Greek spaghetti
- Tzatziki (Greek yogurt dip)
- Greek spinach rice (Spanakorizo)
- White bean soup (Fasolada)
- Greek chickpea soup (Revithosoupa)
If you try any of my recipes, please rate ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ it in the recipe card and also leave your feedback in the comments section below. You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, and subscribe to my youtube channel.
Greek Watermelon Salad
- mixing bowl
- 3 cups watermelon cubes deseeded
- 1 cup chopped Persian/ English cucumber
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 10-12 mint leaves finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice adjust as per taste
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Put watermelon, cucumber, onion, and mint leaves in a bowl.
- In another bowl prepare the dressing by mixing olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over salad and toss.
- Add crumbled feta cheese on top and enjoy!
- Don't make this salad in advance as the watermelon will release a lot of juice and won't taste fresh and crunchy after a few hours.
- You can also add fresh basil leaves to this salad.
- For a sweeter taste, drizzle some honey, maple syrup, or any other sweetener of your choice.
- You can also add pitted kalamata olives to this watermelon salad.
- Adding cucumber and onion is optional. Just watermelon and feta with mint leaves taste great too.
- More detailed recipe tips and tricks are given in the post above. Please refer them to make this recipe.