This creamy vegan mushroom & green peas orzo is a delicious one pot meal from Italy. A must try easy pasta recipe for every pasta lover.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Vegan orzo with mushroom & green peas is a delicious, easy to make, one-pot recipe from Italy. Though vegan this dish is very creamy and has a risotto-like consistency even without using any plant-based butter or cheese.
What is orzo
For those of you who don’t know what orzo is, it’s a type of Italian pasta also known as risoni which is shaped like a large grain of rice.
Even in Greece and the Middle East, similar rice like pasta is used in many interesting recipes which I will cover in my blog soon.
Pasta and noodles are loved by almost everyone in my family so I keep on making it regularly. That's the reason you find me often sharing recipes of pasta and noodles on my blog.
More vegan pasta and noodle recipes
You can check out some of the most popular pasta & noodles recipe on my blog below:
- Vegan pasta with spinach, mushrooms & cherry tomatoes.
- Vegan Kung pao noodles with charred broccoli
- Hot peanut butter ramen noodles
- Easy vegetable Teriyaki noodles
I made orzo several times earlier also, following the same process of cooking other pasta recipes i.e. boiling orzo in one pot, preparing a sauce separately in another pot, and then mixing the two.
A few days ago I saw a cookery show in which an Italian chef shared her tips for making a perfect creamy orzo. She suggested that instead of boiling orzo separately if you cook it as a one-pot meal, the starch released from it makes the dish very creamy.
I tried her trick and it turned out exactly the way she described…..creamy & delicious.
You can add butter or vegan butter or cheese to it but that won't be needed in this recipe.
If you are looking for a delicious one-pot vegan dinner recipe then this is a perfect recipe for you.
Step by step photo instructions
Vegan Orzo with mushrooms & green peas
- 400 gms orzo
- 1 cup mushrooms roughly chopped
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 onion medium sized
- 5-6 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 cube vegetable bouillon
- 1/2 cup pasta sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon red chili flakes
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cups boiling water the quantity of water may vary depending on the quality of pasta so don't add all the water in one go.
- Heat oil in a pot and add chopped garlic to it, saute for a few seconds and then add in the chopped onion. Fry for 2-3 minutes and add the bouillon cube, saute for a few seconds.
- Next, add in the mushrooms and cook for 1-2 minutes and then add green peas. Cook till the peas are done.
- Add pasta sauce, salt, dry oregano, and chili flakes, cook for a minute.
- Now add orzo and some portion of boiling water. Mix and let it cook. Add more water when required, stir nicely and cook. Repeat the process until the orzo is done.