Vegetable Quesadilla is an easy Mexican recipe made with tortilla which is first filled with vegetables, corn, cheese and then toasted on a griddle.
Like every time, during my recent trip to India, I was so much spoiled by mum made food garnished with lots of love that now after coming back, I have become too lazy to enter my kitchen and cook time-consuming dishes.
So for my weekend dinner, I pulled out a Mexican recipe which is very easy to make, quick and delicious – Vegetable Quesadilla.
What is Quesadilla?
Quesadilla is a Mexican dish that can be enjoyed at any time of the day. You can have it in your breakfast, lunch, dinner or just as a snack.
The literal meaning of Quesadilla is “little cheesy thing”. This Mexican dish originated in the 16th century in Northern and Central Mexico.
Quesadilla is prepared by putting different types of filling, generally made with vegetables, beans, meat, spices, and cheese which are put on a tortilla and then grilled or toasted.
The recipe which I am sharing today is of a Vegetarian Quesadilla.
What to serve with Vegetable Quesadilla?
If you are in no mood to make any efforts to prepare a side dish, enjoy it with ketchup or any other ready-made dip/ sauce.
Can Quesadilla be made without cheese?
If you want to make Vegan Quesadilla without the cheese, either skip the cheese or use a plant-based cheese. You can also create a fusion by adding hummus or any other sauce/ spread of your choice instead of cheese.
Though it’s a Mexican dish and as kids, we had no knowledge of Mexican food, I remember my father making something very similar for us as an evening snack. The difference was that he used to make it with leftover chapatis instead of tortillas and there was no cheese inside. Those chapati rolls were delicious and are still my favorite snacks.
So, if you want, you can also make it without the cheese.
More Vegan/ Vegetarian Mexican recipes:
6. Vegan chili
If you try any of my recipes then please don’t miss to share your feedback and rate the recipe in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links shared in my blog are affiliate links and I will get benefited if you buy products from them at no extra cost to you. However, I have personally used most of these products hence recommending them to you. You are free to buy them from anywhere also.
How to make Vegetable Quesadilla?
- 3 tortillas
- 1.5 cups chopped button mushrooms
- 0.5 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 0.5 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 0.5 cup sweet corn kernels fresh/ frozen
- 1 finely chopped green chili
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder you can also use grated garlic.
- Salt as per taste
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter/ olive oil
- 3 tbsp mozzarella cheese adjust the quantity as per your liking
- Heat around 1/2 a tablespoon of olive oil in a pan and put all the chopped vegetables to it. Cook the vegetables for around 3-4 minutes.
- Add ginger, all the spices, and salt and cook till the water released by mushrooms gets dry. Keep the stuffing aside till it reaches room temperature.
- Heat a griddle or pan and put a tortilla on it. Put some filling on half side of the tortilla and then put a tablespoon of grated cheese on top of it.
- Pull the other side of the tortilla to cover the vegetable mixture and slightly press with a spatula.
- Brush the top of quesadilla with some butter/ olive oil and flip it over. Apply butter to the other side also and roast the quesadilla nicely from both the sides.
- Take out on a serving plate and cut it into two pieces. Serve with Salsa dip/ Guacamole/ tomato ketchup or any dip of your choice.