Mexican Vegetable couscous is a tasty and healthy fusion recipe made by combining the Mexican ingredients with couscous from the Maghreb region.
The Eid break is over now, with it the carefree eating days have come to an end and healthy eating days are back. However, to fight with the vacation blues, I thought of making something healthy but tasty.
After quickly checking my fridge which was filled with a lot of ingredients used in Mexican cuisine like corn, boiled kidney beans, red bell pepper, tomatoes etc, I thought of making Vegan Mexican couscous.
Though originally not from Mexico, couscous is from the Maghreb region but the combination of Mexican ingredients with couscous is great and that’s the reason why the internet is full of Mexican couscous recipes.
The fact that couscous doesn’t have any taste of its own and absorbs all the flavors you put in, makes it a perfect choice of ingredient for experimenting with different flavors.
If you want to check more ways to add couscous to your plate, don’t miss to check my Vegan couscous fritters recipe.
More vegan Mexican recipes:
If you try any of my recipes then please don’t miss to rate it in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links shared in my blog are affiliate links and I will get benefited if you buy products from them at no extra cost to you. However, I have personally used most of these products hence recommending them to you. You are free to buy them from anywhere also.
How to make Mexican vegetable couscous?
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Couscous : 2 cups
- Boiling water / vegetable stock : 2.5 cups
- Boiled kidney bean : 1 cup
- Boiled corn kernels : 1 cup
- Red bell pepper: 1
- Mushroom : 8-10 buttons
- Garlic : 2 cloves
- Parsley : 1 bunch
- Tomato : 1
- Broccoli florets : 1 cup
- Lemon juice : 2 tablespoon
- Chili flakes : 1 tablespoon / as per taste
- Black pepper powder : 1 teaspoon / as per taste
- Salt : As per taste
- Cooking oil : 1 tablespoon
- Boil the water / vegetable stock in a pot and add half of the salt that you will be using in the recipe, to the pot.
- In a large bowl, put couscous and soak it in boiling water /vegetable stock for around 5 minutes.
- Chop the red bell pepper, mushrooms, tomato and parsley and grate the garlic.
- In a small pan add around 1 tablespoon of water and add the broccoli florets, cover the pan and let it cook for 1-2 minutes. Don’t overcook the broccoli, it should remain crunchy.
- Heat oil in a wok and add the crushed garlic. Sauté for about 30 seconds and then add the mushrooms.
- Stir fry the mushrooms and then add the red bell pepper. Let them cook for around 1 minute while stirring continuously.
- Throw in the tomatoes, red chilli flakes, pepper powder and remaining salt.
- Once the tomatoes turn mushy, add the boiled kidney beans, corns and broccoli. Stir them all for few seconds and switch off the gas.
- Now add in the couscous, chopped parsley and lemon juice. Mix everything nicely.
- Enjoy your extremely delicious and healthy vegan Mexican lunch.