These vegan Burritos filled with bean rice, mushrooms and onions are delicious and filling, You can enjoy this Mexican treat at any time of the day.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Today's recipe is of one of our favorite Mexican dishes- Burrito. There are different ways of making a Burrito and you can bring so many variations just by changing the filling and sauces.
I am sharing a delicious vegan version – Bean rice and mushroom Burrito.
Burrito is a delicious Mexican dish in which flour tortilla is filled with different ingredients mainly bean, rice, meat, sauces, and then sealed into a roll.
It tastes great, is very filling and can be eaten at any time of the day, be it for breakfast, lunch, dinner or just a snack.
Do you know how Burrito got its name? Burrito means ‘little donkey’ in Spanish and it’s said that this dish is called Burrito because it's filled with a lot of ingredients just the way a donkey carries a lot of things.
As per another folklore, a man by the name Juan Méndez used to sell tacos in Mexico during the period of the Mexican revolution. This man’s mode of transport was a donkey. To keep his food warm he used to wrap them in large homemade flour tortillas. That’s how this dish wrapped in a large flour tortilla sold by a man traveling on his donkey got it’s name Burrito.
I love reading such folklores behind different dishes, or rituals.
This Mexican treat is a must-try dish and is very easy to make.
Serve them with Guacamole or any dip of your choice.
More easy vegan Mexican recipes
Mexican is one of the most loved cuisines and if you are a Mexican food lover too and looking for ideas to make Vegan Mexican Recipes then you will definitely like the following dishes:
More easy vegan mushroom recipes
If you love mushrooms and looking for more mushroom recipes then don't miss to check the following recipes:
If you try any of my recipes then please don’t miss to rate it in the comments section below.
Step by step photo instructions
Vegan Burritos with bean rice & mushrooms
Ingredients for bean rice
- ½ cup uncooked rice
- ½ cup boiled/ canned kidney beans
- ½ cup salsa
- 1 cube veg bouillon
- 2.5 cups water/ as required to cook bean & rice
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves
- Salt as per taste
Ingredients for Sauteed mushrooms
- 1 medium sized sliced onion
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms You can use any variety of your choice
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder/ Red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt as per taste
- ½ tbsp Olive oil
- 6 piece flour tortilla
- 6 tbsp vegan sour cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- Add all the ingredients of bean rice in a pot and cook till rice is done.
- In another pan, heat some olive oil and add the onions to it. Saute till the onion becomes translucent.
- Next, add in the mushrooms and cook till the water released by mushrooms get dry.
- Add in the salt, garlic powder, and chili powder. Saute for another minute and switch off the gas.
- Now warm the tortillas on a pan. Take the first tortilla and apply around a tablespoon of vegan sour cream on it. Spread a vertical layer of bean rice in the middle of the tortilla as shown in the photo.
- Top it up with a layer of onion and mushrooms and then with some chopped coriander leaves.
Now fold the top and bottom end of the tortilla and then start rolling it vertically till the end.
- Slightly grill the tortilla on a griddle for around a minute from both the sides. This will help in sealing its ends. Similarly, make all the other Burritos.
- Serve with Guacamole/ Salsa or any other dip of your choice.