This Mexican style Quinoa Salad is a must-try vegan and gluten-free summer salad. A medley of textures and flavors, it can be served as a side dish, enjoyed as a lunch, stuffed in the wraps, or added to vegan bowls.
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure here. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
The best thing about summers is its fresh and colorful ingredients which make every dish very flavorful and vibrant. In today’s recipe- Mexican quinoa salad I have used a lot of them.
I love adding quinoa to my salads and soups as it soaks all the juices and flavors of the other ingredients and also adds a nice chewy texture to them.
How to cook Quinoa
Cooking quinoa is very easy but if it’s a new ingredient for you then just take care of the following points otherwise it will turn mushy:
- Always rinse quinoa before cooking. Rinsing will remove its outer coating called Saponin which doesn’t have a good taste. However, most of the quinoa which you get in the market these days is pre-rinsed.
- The quinoa-water ratio for cooking should be 1:2.
- Cook quinoa uncovered for 15-20 minutes then switch off the gas and cover the pot with a lid for at least 5 minutes. This will give a perfect fluffy quinoa every time.
- Quinoa triples in quantity after cooking i.e. if you cook 1 cup of quinoa you get 3 cups of cooked quinoa.
- Instead of boiled corn, you can also use grilled corn kernels in this recipe.
- Any type of quinoa can be used in this corn salad depending upon the preference.
- Add chopped avocado or top with some Guacamole to make it tastier.
- You can also add a few tablespoons of Pico de Gallo to this salad for an extra kick.
- Non- vegans may also add ricotta or any other cheese to this Mexican salad.
- There are many ways you can enjoy this vegan summer salad. Serve it with some grilled vegetables or pack it in your lunch box.
- You can also stuff it inside your Burritos or sandwiches.
- It can be served cold as well as warm.
- Though you can enjoy this salad immediately after making it, it starts tasting even better after a few hours when the quinoa soaks up all the juices. So, if possible allow the salad to rest for at least one hour before serving.
More easy vegan summer salads to try
There is nothing better than a bowl of delicious salad during this season. If you are also looking for ideas to make some easy summer salad recipes then don’t miss to check the following recipes:
Vegan Mexican recipes
Love Mexican food? Don’t miss to check the following vegan Mexican recipes on my blog:
- One-pot Mexican rice
- Black bean soup
- Vegan Burritos with cilantro lime rice and black beans
- Vegan Burritos with bean rice and mushrooms
- Mexican style couscous
If you try any of my recipes then please don’t miss to rate it in the comments section below.
Mexican Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup cooked sweet corn kernels
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup canned/ boiled black beans
- 1 small red-onion finely chopped
- 1 small tomato finely chopped
- 1/4 cup bell pepper finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon jalapeno finely chopped
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves finely chopped
- 1.5 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper powder
- Salt as per taste
- 1/2 cup water
- Put quinoa in a large strainer and wash under running water for 1-2 minutes.
- In a pan put quinoa and 1/2 cup water. Cook uncovered till the water gets evaporated. Put on the lid, switch off the gas and let it remain untouched for at least 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, remove the lid and fluff with a fork.
- Put all the ingredients in a bowl. Toss well. Check and adjust the seasoning. Enjoy!
- Instead of water, you can also use vegetable stock to cook quinoa.
- If possible, allow the salad to rest for at least an hour so that quinoa can soak up all the flavors.
- This corn salad can also be topped with some chopped avocado and pico de gallo.