Armenian eggplant salad is a delicious vegetarian salad in which fried eggplants are filled with sour cream, yogurt/ labneh and chopped walnuts.
Armenian eggplant salad is one of the favorite dishes of my husband. He loves it.
Though in Armenia it’s considered a salad, we generally consider it a rich side dish which you can relish on a cheat day. The reason is fried eggplant used in this dish. I don’t like adding fried things to my salad so, I never make this dish when I want to eat a healthy, refreshing salad instead I reserve it for a cheat day.
However, it’s so delicious that I would highly recommend you to try it at least once no matter how calorie-conscious you are.
I once tried creating a healthier version of this dish by baking the eggplants instead of frying but failed. Till the time I get some other trick to avoid frying the eggplants in this recipe, we don’t mind enjoying the fried version occasionally and then spending some extra minutes in the gym.
I am really loving Armenian food these days and tried some other recipes too which I will share on my blog soon.
Armenians use a lot of fresh herbs in their cooking which I love. There are also many eggplant recipes in Armenian cuisine and I love eggplants so that’s the second reason why I am loving it.
More eggplant recipes
Looking for more eggplant recipes? Don’t miss to check the following link:
More easy vegetarian recipes
A few months ago I read a book – The Bastard of Istanbul (I have reviewed that book in my blog’s book section) and though the book is not about food, it has very nicely touched Armenian and Turkish cuisine. That book made me curious to learn more about the food of these two beautiful countries.
If you also want to learn more about these cuisines then keep checking my blog or subscribe it to remain updated with my new recipes.
Also, if you try this recipe, please rate it below in the comments section.
Step by step photo instructions
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links shared in my blog are affiliate links and I will get benefited if you buy products from them at no extra cost to you. However, I have personally used most of these products hence recommending them to you. You are free to buy them from anywhere also.
How to make Armenian Eggplant Salad?
Armenian eggplant salad
- 1 large eggplant globe eggplant
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup thick yogurt/ labneh
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnut
- 4-5 finely grated garlic cloves
- Salt as per taste
- Olive oil for frying the eggplants
- 2-3 tablespoons pomegranate seeds for garnishing
- 1 tbsp finely chopped dill for garnishing
- Peel the eggplants and slice them vertically (around 1/2 cm thickness). Sprinkle some salt and keep aside for 5 to 10 minutes. The eggplants will release water, wipe that out with a paper towel.
- Heat oil in a pan and shallow fry the eggplant slices till they turn golden brown. Take them out on a paper towel and wipe out the excess oil by dabbing with another paper towel.
- In a bowl mix sour cream, thick yogurt/ labneh, grated garlic, chopped walnuts, and salt.
- Spread some yogurt mixture on one side of the fried eggplant slices and then roll them. Place the rolls on a serving plate and garnish with pomegranate seeds and chopped dill. Enjoy your vegetarian Armenian eggplant salad